The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Oversize' tyres on UK wheels ?

Steve W

Did you rate the Kumho's Matt ?

If they're quite a BIT cheaper, but still GOOD, I may need to edge

that way as I go 'up' in size - my pocket's only SO deep.

(as I said earlier, they now show a 'new' tyre on they're site -

but I suppose it's gonna' be dearer anyway:( )

kumho ku15 ecsta mx.jpg

When I had the kumho's on the car, I had no issues with them at all, and they lasted just short of 12,000 miles.

However, when I replaced the rears to the F1's, in the wet, the cars balance felt all wrong. It felt like the back was gripping and pushing the front wild. I changed the front's to F1's and the car was back to normal.

Bit less road noise with the F1's but the Kumho's have the higher speed rating!

I've just replaced my rear Khumos, they were almost new 6,000 miles ago. They are now pretty much bald on the inside and down to the wear marks on the outside - explains some of my traction problems in the snow I think....

They were OK, but I felt they wern't up to much in the wet. Putting F1's on the front made a hugh difference, probably by clearing the water for the rears to grip. There was a big thread a month or so ago about Khumos.

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

I've got 8x18's on the front with 245/40/18 F1's. When they were new, they used to just catch the inner arch on full lock.

Strangely enough, the Kumho's I had before were the same size but they never caught. :conf:

Did that make a plasticy-scuff noise, perchance?

I ask as I got new front boots (Pirrelli P0's, 235*?*18's) on and suddenly, when turning at high lock to the right round the small roundabouts where I live, I could get a scuff noise. It only happens under extreme provocation, i.e. the suspension has to be compressed and the lock quite hard.

Naturally I thought the wheels were about to fall off :)

-Ian