The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlights

Johnny176

Maybe there was some sort of failure in the switch, and they hard wired the fog lights into the side lights.

That would of course solve the broken switch, but would also be breaking the law. In theory, you can't turn your fog lights off? Unless its foggy thats a bag thing as you could get a ticket?

The thing is with the Supra, the fog lights aren't any brighter than the dipped beams and being at the sides anyway, I can't imagine anyone on the road knowing that they're fogs anyway. I didn't! :innocent:

I just thought, "Hmm, these are bright sidelights but hey, it's a Supra so they're bound to be good". :D What's more, they actually work!

My battery is flat again so will have a look at the weekend to find this extra switch on the stalk that I never noticed. My other Supra was the same. Fogs were always on with dips.

Interesting, as mine all work at the same time, though why wouldn't the fog lights stay on when using the main beams?

I was unaware that the fogs shouldn't stay on, or should they on a facelift? Will look in the fusebox when I put the battery back in. Took it out as it got dark this afternoon and didn't think to check the fog switch.

By the sound of it you've got the fogs permanently switched on Morpheus so when you turn on the lights they come on. Should just be a twist at the middle of the stalk to turn them off. They're not as easily spotted by the police as they're in the headlight itself unlike many other cars, but normally (here anyway) they're quite strict about driving with them on when it isn't foggy.

By the sound of it you've got the fogs permanently switched on Morpheus so when you turn on the lights they come on. Should just be a twist at the middle of the stalk to turn them off. They're not as easily spotted by the police as they're in the headlight itself unlike many other cars, but normally (here anyway) they're quite strict about driving with them on when it isn't foggy.

I remember when I picked up my first MkIV and a fascist pi.... I mean 'Policeman', was standing in the road outside Halford's as I approached behind a hatchback of some sort and he was "randomly stopped" ;) and I was allowed to pass by. They were on then too. They're dipped the same as the others and no brighter, so unless they're actually blinding people, which they can't, I guess it's not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I got for Christmas!??

You'll never believe this but I swear it's true!

Are you all sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin........

T'was the night before Christmas and all was quiet. Nothing was stirring, not even a mouse. The Supra was covered up in the garage and fast asleep, whilst I was all tucked up warm in my beddybyes with my favourite Teddy; stockings hanging expectantly on the bedroom door handle, waiting for Santa to arrive and fill them to bursting with presents.

What a surprise in the morning when I went out to wake up my snoozing Supra and found that some cheeky little Elves had bypassed my CAT 1 alarm/immobiliser and installed a foglight switch to my indicator stalk! :blink:

It was in the 'on' position when I discovered it and of course I immediately switched it off where it should be for normal driving.

The most amazing thing was how they worked on their own for a year with no switch!? :search:

So, the moral of the story is this dear readers;

:rtfm:

:D

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)