The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single on a budget

chilli

I had mine dyno'd this weekend with stock tubbies and BPU+ mods. It came in at 395 bhp at the wheels which was a couple of bhp more than 3 other cars with hybrids on them. Get your car BPU setup (most bits you'll require to do a single conversion anyway so you won't be paying out twice) first then do the single at the end so the outlay won't be all in one big hit. You can do things like big FMICS and exhaust and decat, bigger injectors and after market fuel solution, water injection, bigger cams etc etc as standalone projects.

Cheers Dangerous_brain, thats exactly what I'm thinking of, glad to hear it's working out for you too!

Like you say, it spreads the cost, you appreciate each and every mod, you can make the mods when the time is right and the car is hopefully nearly always on the road, everyones a winner lol

so its big brakes, FMIC, EBC... etc for me :)

BL T61 Budget kit = £1800

550cc injectors (2nd Hand) = £150

Flowtesting & cleaning injectors = £100

Turbo Blanket = £100

Resistor Pack = £80

Apexi S-AFC 2 (2nd hand) = £150

AEM Wide band O2 Gauge = £280

HKS SSQ BOV Alu Flange = £20

Fitting of everything = £1060

Mapping = £150 + all the Optimax.

Prices approx

Greddy 2 row FMIC £750 inc fitting

AVCR Boost Controller £300 inc fitting

ITC = no longer made so new Greddy emanage min + £350

Sparks upgrade £100 inc fitting

Mapping + £150 (more complex then afc)

New Fuel Pump £100 fitted

FPR £125 fitted

Brakes to stop you...

So nearer £5750 now - assuming everything goes OK and no problems.

Add another £1000 for AEM and F-con etc

So IMHO - dont bother going single - keep you stock set-up add some nice BPU+ and at the max get hybrids if you blow them

Yeah well clearly things like water injection aren't have to have things but the stuff I said about will keep you smiling individually until you get enough cash together for the turbo kit itself.

Agreed. Tho when your turbo seals are going kaput .. it kinda limits your priority of mods :p

i have been having thoughts if its worth all the hasstle and money in the long run. some big power cars not done a great deal better than bpu cars. and seem to give nothing but trouble. also with traction. even a bpu car can be a bit of a hand full.

its something to think about the supra in sequential mode is good enough for most things on road.

those ebay kits look so good for money. you would have to think about one of those kits over hybrids. you could get a small single set up and run on stock fueling. just dont go mad on boost.

would love to see some of all these new singles at pod.

i lost track how many single supras are out and about.

I find the single is much more predictable than the old sequential system...that's one of the reasons I fitted it.

Break traction, it does, but it's controllable and predictable. I also find I drive between 2,500 and 4,000rpm...and I get a really strong push through these revs instead of a hesitant delayed surge just before my gearchange.