The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Honda Accord CV joint or drive shaft?

tbourner

My 57 i-CTDi has a donking knocking clonking kind of noise on right hand turns, I'd describe it as one of those wooden block instrument things being hit every time the wheel rotates.

Normally I'd go for CV joint but I can't feel anything through the wheel, and it's no worse on full lock - in fact it's a little quieter on full lock! Also the fact that the i-CTDi Accord is well known for breaking driveshafts - particularly the nearside (where my noise is coming from), so I'm thinking it may be that.

Problem with that diagnosis is I've got no vibrations when accelerating or at 60-ish-mph which is normally one of the sure signs of driveshafts.

So I've got no odd feelings, or vibrations or anything, just a knocking noise. I don't want to spend £300 getting my CV joint changed, or £600 getting my driveshaft changed, to find it's something else.

Any of the mechanical wizards on here have any idea?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...