The mkiv Supra Owners Club

... another one for the builders / Diy experts!

penguin

Hi,

Just in the process of getting my loft converted, the question I have is related to insulation... i'm using the existing 150mm "space blanket" on the loft floor, but what would you guys recommend using between the rafters before Sealing it all up with plasterboard + multi-finish?

I'm tempted to go for the 170mm loft roll jobbie as it's cheap (but 5 for £33!) but some people in the camp are arguing about going for celotex / kingspan type insulation boards which are not cheap!!!

so i guess the question is - wool or board? :blink:

I take you are doing it without planning permission or building regs? you cant use the rolls of insulation, regs in this area are 100mm celotex/kingspan between rafters and a layer of 40mm over the top or a layer thinsulex over the top on the recent loft conversions ive done.

I take you are doing it without planning permission or building regs? you cant use the rolls of insulation, regs in this area are 100mm celotex/kingspan between rafters and a layer of 40mm over the top or a layer thinsulex over the top on the recent loft conversions ive done.

That would seem about right to meet part L (whatever bit) for an internal refurb. I can't help thinking its getting a bit intrusive of the Govt though to force someone down a particular path of expense if they just want to line out their own loft, for their own use. Hopefully you're right and the OP is not involving the Building Regs dept of the council.

That would seem about right to meet part L (whatever bit) for an internal refurb. I can't help thinking its getting a bit intrusive of the Govt though to force someone down a particular path of expense if they just want to line out their own loft, for their own use. Hopefully you're right and the OP is not involving the Building Regs dept of the council.

Trouble with doing a diy conversion without planning permission or building regs will come when you try to sell the house, fire regs are a very important part of loft conversions, imo loft conversions are not to be messed with, building regs are there to help the next buyer to ensure everything is done to a good standard and to keep everyone safe.

The house behind mine had a dormer loft extension done, it did not need planning but had to be done to building regs. I checked with the local council when they started as it overlooks the rear of the houses, know one new it was

happening but i was informed you don't require planning now to do it .[bristol city council].

Trouble with doing a diy conversion without planning permission or building regs will come when you try to sell the house, fire regs are a very important part of loft conversions, imo loft conversions are not to be messed with, building regs are there to help the next buyer to ensure everything is done to a good standard and to keep everyone safe.

Fire regs, yeah, but for thermal performance it just smacks of too much interference if someone wants to improve the insulation in their roof only for their local council to say "no, you must improve it this much or not at all"

Thing is, and this is OT, although I fully subscribe to Building Regs with regard to safety, structure, drainage etc, for public health and safety reasons, I don't agree with enforced thermal performance. I know its supposed to be for "the good of the land" to prevent mass housebuilders building cheap-ass houses that cost a fortune to heat, but what if a homeowner wants an all glass extension or house and is happy to pay for their fuel costs? Its all tax in the pot. The latest Part L's are very restrictive and actually prescribe percentages of wall to glass, and IMO that's wrong and counter productive to good design.

There are a few people who have built uber-eco houses that use no energy input at all, so why not trade off that energy to someone who wants an energy inefficient house? Our Govt is quite happy to trade carbon points for huge sums of money, so they have no argument against what I propose.

I just spoke to Travis Perkins in High Wycombe. They have quoted me £30 + vat per sheet for 100mm celotex. Its not somewhere we normally work, I probably could have got a better deal local to me, but still not a bad price.

They have put a quote on the system under my name, not the companys, so if you want any more info let me know.

You can collect them from Travis Perkins, Wycombe Lane, High Wycombe , HP10 0HH

When you get there tell them you want to order from Quote number Q247690 (under my name - Phil Browne). I assume they will have these in stock, if not they should get them in pretty quickly. When I got the quote I guessed at 10 sheets, but just tell them you re-measured if they ask.