The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which boost controller?

Syed Shah

these supra guys are helpfull

when i come to get one i will go for the new Blitz SBC-iD with the Power Meter id

just need to get a a good price on them both. is the built in boos gauge as acurate as a stand alone electronic boost gauge.i like external gauges in a 3 pod pillar mount.

flavio can you give us a run down of some of the features of both units and do you have to set them up, how do you set the boost levels and how do you know how much stock turbos can take.

justin said not to go above 1.1 bar and 1.3 with a front mount intercooler

thanks for any help

Quote: from MONKEYmark on 2:57 am on Feb. 28, 2002[br]Flavio

can you leave the standard boost gauge in and have say a 60mm HKS electronic boost gauge  on a t splitter in the same pipe as the stock pipe

also love that spoiler  is it a blitz spoiler and how much was it  it looks loads bigger than stock spoiler

have fun

I have both the boost controller vacuum line as well as my electronic boost controller on the same vacuum line coming from the stock turbo pressure sensor.

The rear spoiler is from Whifbitz, a copy of the RMM rear spoiler. It's for sale if you're interested.

Flavio

Strangely although both use the same vacuum line my APEX'i electronic gauge reads higher peak levels than my SBC-iD. I haven't found an explanation for this yet.

Setting up the SBC-iD and Power Meter is easy, just follow the manuals. It's all menu driven so pretty easy, much easier than the DSBC. You just need to experiment with the gain and ratio settings on the boost controller. Higher gain means faster boost rise, higher ratio means higher boost level. The SBC-iD also has a mode where you just set the boost limit in bar, although I don't know if this works on sequential turbo's. I had problems with boost not being kept down at prolonged full throttle runs (with the SBC as well as my previous DSBC) but this could well have been because I used the power steering line for the vacuum. Also I suspected my stock wastegate was not a 100% anymore. With my SP57 any boost limit I set is really held so I know the Blitz works well in that respect.

If you have the Power Meter fitted next to the SBC-iD (so the infrared works) you can program them to vary maximum boost levels relative to the speed of the car, i.e lower boost levels at lower speeds to avoid wheel spins and higher boost at higher speeds.

One feature of the Power Meters that I also like is that you can calibrate the speed display (I used a handheld GPS) so you know exactly how fast you're going. My stock speedo is about 10% wrong.

The dash functions (0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 0-300km/h, 0-200m, 0-400m, 0-1000m) are nice as well if you want to do an occasional drag run.

I agree with the 1.1 and 1.3 bar maximum boost levels for the stock turbo's. I know one guy in Poland ruined his engine by running 1.5 bar all the time, so be careful. An EGT gauge is a good thing to have.

Flavio

Quote: from Flavio on 7:22 am on Feb. 28, 2002[br]Strangely although both use the same vacuum line my APEX'i electronic gauge reads higher peak levels than my SBC-iD. I haven't found an explanation for this yet.

Flavio

Is this an Apexi boost gauge, reads say 1.45bar when you are boosting 1.2 in reality?  If so, mine does the same - if you figure out a fix, let me know :)

-Ian

Quote: from Ian C on 1:39 pm on Feb. 28, 2002[br]
Quote: from Flavio on 7:22 am on Feb. 28, 2002[br]Strangely although both use the same vacuum line my APEX'i electronic gauge reads higher peak levels than my SBC-iD. I haven't found an explanation for this yet.

Flavio

Is this an Apexi boost gauge, reads say 1.45bar when you are boosting 1.2 in reality?  If so, mine does the same - if you figure out a fix, let me know :)

-Ian

Ian,

Yes it's the APEX'i 60mm EL electronic boost gauge. I have no idea what causes this or how to fix this.

Flavio

Is it electronic or mechanical???

Mechanical seem to be more reliable.

Flavio have you tested you powermeter against a Rolling Road???

What setting for the drive train loss did you put in??? I believe the blitz-uk.co.uk site says to put it in a -5 is that what you did??

Mine isn't working yet due to unrelated electronics problems (speed signal is knackered) so I'd be interested to here what weight and loss settings you've used - then when mine is fixed next week I can do a direct comparison.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 2:35 pm on Feb. 28, 2002[br]Is it electronic or mechanical???

Mechanical seem to be more reliable.

Flavio have you tested you powermeter against a Rolling Road???

What setting for the drive train loss did you put in??? I believe the blitz-uk.co.uk site says to put it in a -5 is that what you did??

Mine isn't working yet due to unrelated electronics problems (speed signal is knackered) so I'd be interested to here what weight and loss settings you've used - then when mine is fixed next week I can do a direct comparison.

Alex,

The APEX'i gauge is electronic, I was told they are more accurate than a mechanical one, go figure.

I haven't tested the Power Meter against a rolling road but I think it's fairly accurate. I don't think it will work on a rolling road because there is no acceleration when you're on a rolling road.

Drive train loss I set to -5 although it baffles me why the Supra is the only car in the manual for which you have to put in a negative number, all the other cars are either 0 or a positive number. I shall test it soon with different drive train loss numbers to see what the difference is. I am now inclined to believe that the number the Power Meter gives is too optimistic with a negative drive train loss?

I have set the weight to 1750kg. My car weighs 1606kg according to my registration. With a heavyweight like myself and fuel, stereo and other stuff I think 1750 is pretty accurate.

I'll do some runs tomorrow in different gears and with different boost levels. I am running a stock exhaust for the moment (I've ordered a Veilside Titanium exhaust from Japan) so the numbers won't be optimal.

Flavio

(Edited by Flavio at 6:13 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 6:24 pm on Feb. 28, 2002[br]What happened to the carbon hiper you were going to get??

Alex,

I wan't entirely happy with the way it hung under the car (too low) so I've sold it on. My ultimate exhaust would be an ARC Titanium but that is horribly expensive, it costs three times as much as the Veilside.

Flavio

Ian,

Yes it's the APEX'i 60mm EL electronic boost gauge. I have no idea what causes this or how to fix this.

Flavio

Well, I'll have a shufty at it at some point soon as well - see if I can accidently fix it.  I'll post any findings :)

-Ian