The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats wrong with my gauges?

p3te

My water temp Gauge, it’s a HKS Electronic Gauge

it use to work fine but now the needle doesn’t want to move to display the temp, I’ve replaced the temp sensor in the engine bay and the buttons work fine on the gauge, you can even hold the button to test the needle and it sweeps around fine but the needle is just sat on the bottom and doesn’t move no matter how hot the water temp :( what could the problem be? is it Knackered?

Edited by p3te (see edit history)

hi mate im not sure about the hks gauges but i just installed a warter temp on my mates integra and i couldnt get it to read the warter temp but everything else was working fine just like yours.

after 2hrs of scratching my head i found out that the senseor its self has to be earthed! if you need me to explain better you can call me on 07544904547

altho this might not be the case for you. but its worth a shot ;-)

hi mate im not sure about the hks gauges but i just installed a warter temp on my mates integra and i couldnt get it to read the warter temp but everything else was working fine just like yours.

after 2hrs of scratching my head i found out that the senseor its self has to be earthed! if you need me to explain better you can call me on 07544904547

altho this might not be the case for you. but its worth a shot ;-)

hi, the new sensor ive just fitted has 2 wires (like the hks one) black and white is one of these not the earth? ive tried changing the wires around but still get no joy

hi, the new sensor ive just fitted has 2 wires (like the hks one) black and white is one of these not the earth? ive tried changing the wires around but still get no joy

im not 100% sure with the hks sensors mate but the one i fitted had wires coming from it with a plug on the end. but for some reason it had to be earthed separate. i only found out by ringing the company who sold it to us outher wise i would of never worked it out as it didnt say on the instrutions.

can you not find any instrutions on it? if you post up the model number i will look into it for you ;-)

i notice you have geordie above your advatar! i live in gateshead so if you cant work it out you can pop it over and we can have a quick look. as 2 heads are better than one lol

but if you cant find any brakes in the wires anywhere it could be done for! but im sure it will just be somthing simple lol it always is lol

did you buy a new hks sensor or a copy? ( thats if you can buy a copy lol)?

i notice you have geordie above your advatar! i live in gateshead so if you cant work it out you can pop it over and we can have a quick look. as 2 heads are better than one lol

but if you cant find any brakes in the wires anywhere it could be done for! but im sure it will just be somthing simple lol it always is lol

did you buy a new hks sensor or a copy? ( thats if you can buy a copy lol)?

it just a universal fit sensor i bought, i think ill have one last check at everything this wkend, i feel like replacing all of my gauges for some blue backlit ones lol

If you can't find any brakes. The first thing I would do is by a genuine HKS sensor as I'm sure that will sort out the problem. I know it's a different thing but I bought 2 bosh universal single wire lambda sensors to replace my old oem sensors and my car would not run rite it was spluttering all over the place. So I now would not buy universal and copy's lol. I know some copy's are ok but it will reduce any problems not going this route ;-)