The mkiv Supra Owners Club

speedo not working

T14PPA

The speedo converter will almost certainly be wired in behind the speedo somewhere. If your speedo doesn't work, the signal is being lost close to its source (it goes to the speedo first, the speed signal actually reaches the ECU last).

Havw you got a wiring diagram to show me which wires are what because there is no sign of a speed converter that i can see. I know there must be one but i'm thinking the wire that's left at the ECU must be for another one which was in it before, now god knows where they have hidden this one.

Link to wiring diagram on post #17: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?274212-1996-Supra-N-A-5spd-problems!-Check-Engine-and-!/page2

The diagram shows you how to wire up a TRL speed converter, but it also does a good job of explaining what some of the wires going into the speedo and ECU do.

If your pink wire in the ECU goes nowhere, you should be getting a code 42 error. Do your error warning lights work? Anyway, that's a secondary issue.....

The speedo gets its input signal on pin 5 (blue with red stripe) of the speedo plug. Follow what that wire is connected to. It often leads to the speed converter.

Link to wiring diagram on post #17: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?274212-1996-Supra-N-A-5spd-problems!-Check-Engine-and-!/page2

The diagram shows you how to wire up a TRL speed converter, but it also does a good job of explaining what some of the wires going into the speedo and ECU do.

If your pink wire in the ECU goes nowhere, you should be getting a code 42 error. Do your error warning lights work? Anyway, that's a secondary issue.....

The speedo gets its input signal on pin 5 (blue with red stripe) of the speedo plug. Follow what that wire is connected to. It often leads to the speed converter.

Yeah i'm getting that error code since i lost my speedo & all my warning lights work.

Thanks for the diagram & help, i will print it & look into this again at the weekend.

• 1 month later...
Mine stopped working just the other week. Must have been a loose wire cos we took the clocks out and put them back in and it started working no problem.

Can confirm that this above has just resolved my issue. Stopped working about 2 weeks ago (not using daily at the mo), took the dash apart, checked the fuse behind the drivers side kickplate (number 14 : 10amp fuse), found the converter/delimeter, checked power to it and all ok. Looked on here at this thread, put the clocks back in, reversed off the drive and the needle started to move. Talk about infuriating as absolutely no explanation as to why it would suddenly start working again. Anyways, now a happy bunny :)