The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra tuning for top speed

chilli

lol Neo1, was the car stock though?

Looking at the link I posted and realising that the drag is proportional to the square of the speed, its easy to see that (approximately speeking), if:

325bhp = 180 mph

then 325bhp * 200^2 mph / 180^2 mph = 400bhp

ok so this is a gross oversimplification, and does not take into account things like:

rev limits

where peak power occurs in the rev range verses gearing etc

and that power losses are a percentage of flywheel bhp

but it shows that certainly 500bhp should be more than generous enough, if other factors are addressed correctly.

L

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd sure love to see that, please post the video asap :)

I take it you have a 210mph TRD (think thats what they are) speedo? Are you able to use gps to verify the speed?

Anyhow, I can't wait to see it, I loved the original Whitelighning video!

Top speed runs are always under the condition that there is enough room for top gear to fill up properly (assuming that the gearing is correct)

Most of the 'top gear' events in the UK are closer to acceleration tests in reality, since you might need a 3 mile straight before such a car stops accelerating and reaches the 'plateu'

yeah i know what you mean, at 200mph speeds you're going to cover a heck of a lot of ground in not a lot of time.

I guess I was interested in the plateu more than the acceleration in this particular instance, so it may be slightly "theoretical" depending on circumstances of course

I'd sure love to see that, please post the video asap :)

I take it you have a 210mph TRD (think thats what they are) speedo? Are you able to use gps to verify the speed?

Anyhow, I can't wait to see it, I loved the original Whitelighning video!

Cheers Chilli, my speedo is standard but I have two gps speedos and some logging equipment. Trying to mount dash camera as we speak.

(If you know where I can get a TRD speedo face then let me know anyone :) )

When I was in my 'suicidal' stage in life, we were using a long straight about 11kms (~7miles), it was only available early Sunday mornings, lol...

You couldn't really reach full top speed before 2.5 miles had passed, and that was with bikes that hit an early brick wall (aerodynamically) due to their crap Cd.

You couldn't do more than 2-3 passes either, the fuel tank would empty abnormally quickly -- yet another issue to take into account.

Ermm...iv got a t88 running 650 at the wheels imt old..so i will have to check wotn jsust to make sure its ok!!! on a private airfield ov course!! Still pulling hard in 5th at 150!!not really on full chant either cos i want to dyno her first! (again on the airfield!)!!so rkn in 6th in higher revs on full chant we should be good for 200!...anyone else bin up there yet>

Cheers

Matt

185mph for a bone stock Supra????

How much road did they use? 25 laps of Daytona??? I was only doing 153mph at Bruntingthorpe on Sunday. Would have thought you would need atleast a 5 mile straight to go that fast in a stock car.

If a Ruf R Turbo has 550bhp, and does 217mph, then surely a Supra (similar shape, bit heavier) would only need 500bhp? Another thing, if Toyota only made the wing deletable on the JDM's, but not the export cars, I'd leave it on when aiming for high speed runs, for the sake of stability.

Any decent UK Supra can do 180mph just pull out the ABS relay (with the ignition off) and go for it. You could also check it on a R.Road, by doing the above and let it go in 6th. Mine with 265/35/18 rears was measured @ 194mph when it revved out (had tried it on the autobahn etc). Now using 275's, and rev limit about to go up a little so next r.road i'll check it there before trying it on the next German trip so i know what i am doing for sure. That road from Colonge to the Dutch border is magic for top end.

Arrr harrrr, me hearties. Feast yer eyes on this!

It's a vid I got last year post-turbo install. The Apexi unit showing the speed is 100% accurate to a road angel, so that's the real speed right there folks. It is, of course, on a private test track, and anyway, the video is filmed so that it may as well be in my garage haha. There was not a single other vehicle in sight for the duration of the test :thumbs:

The car was at 1.2bar boost, and I was changing up a few hundred rpm too early because I'm :limp: :D Note it's still ticking up about 2mph per second at the top end :)

It's set up for 1.4bar as well now :looney: Damn that limiter though. I want it sorted for TOTB because I should be able to crack 180 on the top speed run.

-Ian

Sorry to hijack the thread but ive got a 320KM TRD speedo fitted in mine (already in the car when i bought it)

The speed signal was converted to MPH when I had all the fog conversions etc done so now in theory my speedo won't bottom out till it hits 320MPH! :ecstatic: :thanku:

How much power will i need to hit that? :rolleyes: :D

If anyone wants my TRD Speedo and wants to swap speedo's at JAE, PM me an offer.

ive got a 320KM TRD speedo fitted in mine (already in the car when i bought it)

The speed signal was converted to MPH when I had all the fog conversions etc done so now in theory my speedo won't bottom out till it hits 320MPH!

I think you'll find that the conversion has just raised your speed limiter from 180Kph (112Mph) to 180Mph.

Makes no odds what speedo you have

I think you'll find that the conversion has just raised your speed limiter from 180Kph (112Mph) to 180Mph.

Makes no odds what speedo you have

I think my cars got some other speed delimiter (maybe built in to the FCon) as before it was converted it would go well over 180KMH?

Gazboy, you manual or auto?

My stock (almost) manual supra whips up to 150 in no time and sails past (on a private track of course), I'd estimate it wouldn't even be thinking of running out of puff till the 170s

Auto, and that's a laser verified 153mph- speedo was showing just over 160mph.

Ok cheers Gazboy, so was the car still accellerating at that speed?

Anyone care to hazard a guess on how the top speed of an auto and a manual differ? Ignoring rev limits/gearing I guess the only significant difference is the power loss