The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Baptism of Fire!

Guest bigtinasoup

Guest bigtinasoup

hello everyone, im new to the forum, and am in need of help. an may have a decent propersition for a few. now my true love is a mk3 toyota hilux, we have been on some adventures together an she has been good to me, but she is an old girl now an ive decided its about time i made it so everyone else can see what i se when i look at her so big project. an this is where it gets a little silly! i invested in a mk3 supra 7mgte to drop in my truck, i have all the bits i need to do it apart from a clutch set up witch im dealing with on pay day, however the supra i invested in headed its head re-building, so its rebuilt an it runs, but it runs like turd! it sounds gash but i left the exhaust off so that finished at the turbo, an it has no filter, an in that set up it ran but wouldnt rv and sounded terrible, it also spat sparks out the turbo very briefly and then soon after the turbo set alight. turned it off an restarted it an it ran again. i didnt strip it down i only rebuilt it, an hoped it all went in the right place! now ive realtached the exhaust an used some old flower print boxers (cause thats how i role) as a make shift filter an tryed to get her running again but to no avail! now my propesition...... i only want the engine, loom an clocks on the car, the box diff body ect are all up for grabs, including the 17 inch spotless oz racing 5 spokes. so if someone was to help me out, get the engine runing sweet and running out of the car if possible, anything i dont need woyuld be up for grabs, if anyone fancyed swapping me a running lump an loom for the entire car i would be up for that also, i havnt realy delt with anything like this before so any help an advice would be fantastic! the supra is just outside wolverhampton but can be moved up to manchester if it would be easer to work on. im hoping to make one evil evil truck an save a supra ( the body is in grat solid shape for its age) so folks.... help, many many thanks Tay

Check the cam position sensor gear has been put in correctly. I did a head gasket (no, really :) ) on my old MkIII and put the CPS back in one tooth out. It had no power and wouldn't rev past 2500rpm, and the turbo glowed red. The ignition timing was comically out.

Of course, I didn't set the turbo on fire in the process. Also, it might run rather rough with no exhaust system, although not badly enough to cause the problems you mention.

Guest bigtinasoup

Cheers mate, is that the sensor on the exhaust side cam up at the front? I turned it to try an get the spark timing right, but you think that the way it has been seated might be out? It's designed to be adjustable but it can be seated incorrectly? The turbo is Poorley I think but mighthave a replacment for it. It's a pain of a job, an I've learnt to most defenatly not take on an already stripped lump again! Thank you mate!!