The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Impreza clutch trouble?

Dash Rendar

My wife's Scooby (2001 WRX) misbehaved today. According to her: she struggled to get it into 1st when stationary, there was a terrible burning smell, some noise (she said "banging" rather than "grinding"), and when she finally did get it into gear, she said she couldn't make the car accelerate. This was explained to me over the phone. Thinking it was probably the clutch, I asked her if the revs were going up, while the speed was relatively static. She replied that this was exactly what she was getting.

Bugger. New clutch, I'm thinking.

But then I got home late this evening, and took the car out for a test drive. I only drove it for a few minutes, but I put it through all the gears, and gave it some beans too. It seemed smooth, with no slippage, no judder, and no smell. Reversed it up the driveway with no problem.

So... Can a clutch misbehaviour intermittently? Is it possible to temporarily cook a clutch through bad clutch control, for it to later recover when it cools? Sorry... Don't know much about clutches!!

I've checked the clutch fluid, and it looks clean and at the right level. Not sure when it was last changed.

The slave cylinders have a tendancy to tit about on them. My sisters one did pretty much the same thing, and then one day the pedal went stiff and it popped.

On the other side of the coin, my focus clutch was slipping after being in traffic on a whacking great hill. As soon as I got moving again, I can only assume it cooled down as I had no more problems with it.