The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on 295x30 19R tyres for maximum traction - 600+ hp owners only please.

sdistc

People always forget about power delivery aswell.

2x cars with the same peak HP output and the same tyres, but one with a T88 and one N/a will have totally different amounts of traction at different times.

So it's not always a HP thing with regards to traction.

And R888's are not great for drag racing, you want something with a tall and softer sidewall, rather than the relatively stiff sidewalls of things like the r888's.

People always forget about power delivery aswell.

2x cars with the same peak HP output and the same tyres, but one with a T88 and one N/a will have totally different amounts of traction at different times.

So it's not always a HP thing with regards to traction.

And R888's are not great for drag racing, you want something with a tall and softer sidewall, rather than the relatively stiff sidewalls of things like the r888's.

While I appreciate your input, I'm not a complete novice. We are not comparing NA with turbo here, purely trying to gain the experience of those Supra owners with horsepower that is guaranteed to cause issues with traction. Bench-racing is not useful for the topic at hand (unless you're going to genuinely provide your experience and suggest a tyre based on that), and neither is suggesting a tyre incompatible with a 19 x 10.5 inch wheel.

Just to reiterate for those that might be unsure, I am completely understanding of the inherent compromise I make by using 19 inch wheels. I will not be able to use a tall drag tyre, and I am not willing to change the wheel at this stage. For those reasons, my car will not be particularly effective from a dig, and I am at peace with that.

Jamie, Dave, Scooby, Gaz - thanks for your valuable input.

I've heard many good reports from the US about the KDs and KDWs, but they're not as easy to source over here. I will look into it for a price comparison.

Out of interest, what tyre are you running at present (in Sydney's potholes :p)?

Going through tirerack they were very reasonable (obviously much cheaper than buying here in AU!)

Currently running BFGoodrich T/A Drag Radials in the back - 345/35R18... tall, wide and sticky as hell (but I don't go near the rain in them ;) ).

I had some t1r's on the back of mine for a while, 275 19's and i'd highly recommend them, great for traction, far better infact than the continental 285s on 18's that i have now. I struggled to break traction from 2nd with the toyo's, can light them up in 3rd now if i try hard enough ;)