The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs data logs

Chris Wilson

What logging ability has the Syvecs software, just engine data, or do they do something like the Motec I2 stuff, which will manipulate track data too? Will the Syvecs directly accept a GPS sensor signal? I am looking at the Race Technology stuff but it appears their 20 Hz GPS receiver is tied into only using full resolution when used with their own data analysis package, feeding the info to another package means less resolution, something to do with licence restrictions? Looks good Wez, re you doing any Donington or Oulton days? I am at Oulton this Wednesday with the Skyline, but weather looks very iffy. May try and blag a Donington slot on the Friday if it's rained off. I have no wet tyres for it... :(

• 1 month later...

To resurrect this I have been playing with the Race Technology software and find it a total nightmare, I have barely worked out how to show graphs. It would be great if Wez or anyone else could post me some log fioles to play with. It's undubtedlly me, but i am struggling to master the Race Technology stuff and have put on hold buying a DL2. I am looking at Gems stuff, which is a lot dearer, but at least I can use it :)

Would like some more Syvecs logs, can you add GPS as an input on one, or chassis logging? If you are willing to share Syvecs engine logs, or RT logs, preferably with GPS working, please e-mail me them at [email protected]

Thanks! I am PM'ing Wez with this too.

Would like some more Syvecs logs, can you add GPS as an input on one, or chassis logging? If you are willing to share Syvecs engine logs, or RT logs, preferably with GPS working, please e-mail me them at [email protected]

Thanks! I am PM'ing Wez with this too.

I will email you my Race Technology logs this evening :thumbs:

Thanks Wez, the price is appealing, willing to work at it a while longer, cheers, looking forward to having a play with them tonight.

I found when I first imported the logfile nothing really happened until I set the markers.

You can add a lateral G sensor to the syvecs and then use the TrackMap/Make command to generate a track map.

There are 3 ways of generating the map. Distance and lateral G, GPS or GPS + lateral G. The only thing is I don't see how you can add a GPS input so I would probably opt for the distance and lateral G.

Next time I speak with Ryan I will ask him about direct GPS input to the S8, I was thinking of trying one, but now I have used a customers race car with GPS logging I see how much better it is than remembering to take a beacon, and remembering to collect it off the pit wall when you go home, assuming no one has nicked it. I bought a Garmin 5Hz GPS receiver for my Motec set up in the Skyline, and risked buying what i thought was the unit they used direct from the US on Ebay. £120 compared to Motec's asking price of £380. I managed to get it set up the other day and am pleased to say it works fine. I would try a Google Earth overlay except Motec only offer this with Pro Logging in their data analysis package i2 pro, a £500 a year licence option. I want to find out if enabling Pro Logging in the ECU (a still hefty £500 one off fee) will do the same thing. I am not sure exactly what benefits, other than "looking cool" it has, but it would be nice to have a play with it. Thanks to Wez I am having another play with Race Technology software, but compared to i2 Standard it's a total nightmare to use. I will also have a fiddle with Syvecs logging stuff, but lack data files to play with, and would love to see their track generation in real time use, anyone got any data with this logged? Thanks Tony for the run through, Very helpful. Below is a high speed lap of the front garden, maxing out at a heady 13.5 MPH, in the Skyline :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the Motec dash in my red Zeus has Pro Logging enabled. I am thinking of selling this dash and buying either a later one that outputs a video overlay synch signal, or a blind logger and use analogue instruments that I prefer. it's amazing that when I ask people at race circuits what they think of their X make digital dash a lot say they'd prefer analogue gauges. It's like many things in motorsport, monkey see, monkey do. In a modern, cramped single seater there's little room for anything other than a digital dash, but in a sports or saloon car a few analogue gauges are not an issue. I am checking out using GEMS GDA Pro data appraisal software for reading Race Technology generated ascii data files. Someone in the US claims to have this working, and would appear to offer a cost effective way of reading RT files in "nicer" software. The GEMS data reading stuff isn't as good as Motec i2 Pro (IMO), but is a LOT cheaper at a one of cost of £250, as opposed to thousands for a licence to import other formats into i2 Pro. GEMS demo file and my last outing in the red Zeus at Donington in i2 Pro below as a comparison. the bizarre Donington map is because it was a (wet) track day and being such no timing beacon is allowed, so the software doesn't know where the start / finish line is to generate a map. Revvy little things these Toyota 4A-GE's :)

i2 Pro demo here: http://www.motec.com.au/downloads/downloadbrochures/

• 4 weeks later...

GEMS GDA Pro dongle should be with me tomorrow Wes, so I will see if it imports your Race Technology file. I have got one of my GEMS 1 gig CAN loggers ( http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=da99l2-data-logger ) reading my M800 CAN stream perfectly now, so my 1 meg limitation with the Motec internal logging is history :) I think I will be able to get one logging a Syvecs CAN stream too, given time. I'll let you know if the RT stuff works when imported into the GEMS GDA Pro software!

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

• 10 months later...