The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New N/A owner from Scotland

Guest The Uncle

Guest MrRob

Hi guys

I'm new on here today, just got my N/A Supra Thursday night and I'm in Love with mine too :)

Surely there must be more tuning parts available for an N/A i.e Cams, Throttle Bodies, ECU CHip/ReMap, Exhaust manifolds etc etc?

Obviously the scope for power gains are nowhere near those with Turbos but I'd have thought there was more on offer than just filters and exhausts?

Out of interest how much on average does a N/A to TT conversion cost? Are we talking about an complete engine swap?

Welcome to the club Rob :thumbs:

Surely there must be more tuning parts available for an N/A i.e Cams, Throttle Bodies, ECU CHip/ReMap, Exhaust manifolds etc etc?

Obviously the scope for power gains are nowhere near those with Turbos but I'd have thought there was more on offer than just filters and exhausts?

It's a question that gets asked on a weekly basis, the simple answer is that to get just small hp gains out of the 2JZ-GE (15-20hp) will cost a lot of money. You could spend the price of a 2nd hand TT Supra modifying an NA Supra and still only get moderate power gains.

See HERE for fuller reply on the subject.

Out of interest how much on average does a N/A to TT conversion cost? Are we talking about an complete engine swap?

It'll cost a few £K's, engine/turbos, intercooler, wiring harness and ECU all need to be transplanted, the clutch would also need upgrading to handle the extra power. Ideally you should also swap to the 6spd gearbox as the 5spd gearbox is at the limit of what it can take, many have failed at BPU power levels. A few members have done the conversion and should be able to comment further.

You also need to consider the resale value, a NA-TT Supra will never be worth as much as a genuine TT and could be difficult to sell on. Owners get attached to their cars and I can understand doing a transplant, but the sensible and probably the most cost effect option would be to sell the NA and buy a TT Supra.

Hi guys

I'm new on here today, just got my N/A Supra Thursday night and I'm in Love with mine too :)

hi and welcome i know what your saying about the other mods avalible i have spent a sh*t load o cash on my n/a

i managed to find :

exhaust manifold £300

cat back exhaust £400

hks intake cam £280 cant fit aftermarket exhaust cam because of the distributer gear.unles custom made.

cam pulleys £250

injen ram kit £300

the list just goes on you would be cheeper saving for the turbo conversion.

Edited by sim1987 (see edit history)

Guest MrRob

Thanks for the input guys, glad I registered for this. Im sure my Supra driving experience is going to far outweigh what Ive just had with a boring 4.0 V8 Jag. My Supra is an Auto ,N/A with a cone filter (Not efficient at all) and a fancy exhaust but dont know what. Its an Import , and have noticed it does slightly more than 112mph :) so obviously its been de-restricted. I think I'll just enjoy this car for the summer, get used to the whole change of lifestyle ;) and look into upgrading to a TT maybe next year. Can I ask, do the turbos' prove reliable on these cars?

Can I ask, do the turbos' prove reliable on these cars?

A stock TT is generally very reliable if properly maintained and serviced, there are no inherent reliability issues. The problem is that as the cars get older and the value drops finding one that has been properly maintained and not abused is getting harder. Up the power to BPU levels and the ceramic turbines can sometimes exit out the exhaust if pushed too hard.

On a well maintained example engine mileage isn't such an issue as the engines are strong, but like any car of it's age parts wear out, worn suspension components are common and expensive to renew, auxiliary parts such as intercoolers, radiators, pumps, alternators, pullies, etc. wear with age/mileage and can be expensive to replace.

Guest MrRob

I agree Nic, i'm very impressed with the build quality of my car, and although its 16 years old it still has a "new" feel to it and feels nice and tight, doors close nicely, no rattles or clunks, everything works, engine sounds perfect with only 102,000km. I just sold a Jaguar XJ8 4.0 which I thought was a nice drive but the Supra is just as good if not better and easily as well built.

I wish I had bought one off these years ago, I think I will enjoy my N/A for a year and then upgrade to a decent TT next summer.

:)

• 2 months later...