The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting front coilovers

jackso11

i just undo the bottom cup that the shock bolts to , then the stock dampers come out easy without touching the top wishbone, drop link off and a long bar and bobs a sibling of your mother

yes but that is drop link off, and I think that is were the problem will be as they won't come off easy.

Stock suspension on there at the moment so lookslike it might be hard/impossible...will let you know after I get round to attempting this!

Check out my HSD fitting guide to see what you're up against. We went with disconnecting the droplink rather than messing about with arch liners and water bottles. Yeah they're tough but can be done without damaging them as per pics / method on my thread.

Cheers,

Brian.

Some great advice in this thread :thumbs:

I found the same problem as you Scott, with stock suspension it's very difficult (or as I found, impossible) to remove the strut without unbolting the drop link, even with my near 20 stone mass (back then) levering the lower wishbone and the srping compressed. If the car has aftermarket suspension it is much easier and unbolting the suspension arm is the easiest way to go about it, maybe even easier if you can get the lever method to work.

Hmmmm, which is even more curious, given the fact that I've done them like that on both mine and grahams, and I am errr not the heaviest lad around :)

I didn't need to remove either the arch liner or the washer bottle to get the top wishbone off the passanger side.

There is genuinely enough room for the head of the bolt between the bottle and the inner panel if you keep the flat washer out of the way.

I can't remember if I needed to un-do any of the wing liner to get the bolt head behind it, but I'm positive I didn't remove it.

Does anyone know how to strip down Tein SS coilovers? They arrived yesterday and the casing is pretty rusted so I want to strip down, de-rust, repaint and rebuild.

Looking at them I would guess tool number one is a set of sprint compressors to I have ordered some of those. Other than that I guess the job looks easy. Would rattle can paint be ok for this job? or should I go 2k acrylic?

To strip them down you simply loosen off the top mount (Loosen it, don't take it off or you will have a spring go through your head) then remove the 2 lower collars to take away the spring tension. If you take off the bottom collars first of all you will have trouble loosening the topmount as the whole assy will rotate. Once the spring has no tension remove the topmount (single nut on the top). You can now remove the topmount, the spring and the 2 collars.

No idea about the bush.