The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cant bleed my brakes, WHY?

ulysees

Fitted two new calipers and four new flexis tonight and emptied the system of all the old fluid to put new 5.1 in, blead with two man method and theres no more air coming out and no leaks but pedal goes to the floor[ANGRY][/ANGRY]when the engine is off the pedal feels hard but when running it hits the floor.

ive searched but no real anser to my questions.

cheers

If it was fine before you drained the system, chances are it wont be the master cylinder. How many bleed nipples have you got open? My trick is four coffee jars with old fluid in the bottom, and the bleed pipes from the nipple to under the the old fluid. Open all four up, and start pumping the pedal. Remember to keep topping it up, if it gets too low you'll have to start again.

Its perfectly normal if its been completely drained to have to lift the pedal a few times if it wont return by its self.

the bleeding progress should be Rear-left, Rear-right, Front-left, Front-right. so it`s the one who is the furthest away from the brake cylinder and work yourself towards the nearest.

in that way there will be no more air in the lines

yes thats what i would say too....also a faulty master cylinder can make this happen too. also make sure (just in case) on the clutch pedal/arm, from the master cylinder, it has a rod that connects to the clutch arm...make sure thats properly in tact through the correct hole with the split pin etc..(just a thought!!)

i stock the master cyl repair kits if you find that you need one...but try the method above first!

yes thats what i would say too....also a faulty master cylinder can make this happen too. also make sure (just in case) on the clutch pedal/arm, from the master cylinder, it has a rod that connects to the clutch arm...make sure thats properly in tact through the correct hole with the split pin etc..(just a thought!!)

i stock the master cyl repair kits if you find that you need one...but try the method above first!

Have tried all ways poss and its been to a garage allday today and they cant do it either they think ive turned a seal in the master cylinder so i need a preasure tool to force it back, does anyone have one?

Or ill have to take it to bits ans get a service kit of Keron wich im not confident in doing realy.

How much are they Keron?

I had the same problem did it two man method (SLOWLY) twice, still the pedal hit the floor. I did some reading and found out that Air can be hard to remove from the ABS unit. I bought a Gunson pressure bleeding kit (uses the spare tyre to pressurise the brake resevoir to about 15 - 20PSI), opened the nipples one at a time bleeding furthest point to nearest. Did it first time and I did notice air bubbles whilst bleeding. So if you are lucky you still just have a little air in the system. Try buying one of those kits it only cost me £15.

NOTE: Make sure the 'Universal Adapter' fits the brake reservoir, as mine didn't so I had to use a G clamp to hold the adapter onto the reservoir. Think it's because mine is a JSPEC and not a European style reservoir cap.

Edited by kjgreen3
Spelling (see edit history)

I had the same problem did it two man method (SLOWLY) twice, still the pedal hit the floor. I did some reading and found out that Air can be hard to remove from the ABS unit. I bought a Gunson pressure bleeding kit (uses the spare tyre to pressurise the brake resevoir to about 15 - 20PSI), opened the nipples one at a time bleeding furthest point to nearest. Did it first time and I did notice air bubbles whilst bleeding. So if you are lucky you still just have a little air in the system. Try buying one of those kits it only cost me £15.

NOTE: Make sure the 'Universal Adapter' fits the brake reservoir, as mine didn't so I had to use a G clamp to hold the adapter onto the reservoir. Think it's because mine is a JSPEC and not a European style reservoir cap.

Yeah worth a try mate cheers, where did you get it from?

I had such a mare last night i fitted four flexis and two o/s calipers and when bleeding i over tightened n/s/f bleed nipple and cracked the caliper AAAAAAGGGHHHHH so i got a brand new caliper today from Parkers parts at loughborough for £95+vat as apposed to £300 from toyota the garage it was at today fitted it and blead (tried to bleed) the brakes but they failed so i will make this contraption and try it.

ill let you know how it went

Did mine this morning, had to rebuild both rear calipers, one needed a new piston and the other the pins has seized, calipers were easy to overhaul, do think for what you get in the overhaul kit from Toyota its a little overpriced but the piston was cheap. Stuck the calipers back on and bled the system in the order I found on here, no gadgets used just some hose, a spanner and a bottle. I have one of the those "Easibleed"" kits which conects to a spare wheel to pressure bleed it, would be great if cap supplied in the kit fitted the Supra brake fluid tank lol