The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snow...both fun and scary!

paddynewman

Guest alan3579

Must admit, i was a bit sceptical this morning, didnt think I would even get out of the car park. Had a few twitchy tail out sliding toward the kurb moments, but I must say, she isnt not to bad in the snow at all, I feel like a drift king now, admitedly a very slow one. It certainly makes you realise how much skill is involved in rallying on loose ground and snow.

Way I see it is you don't try it you'll never learn. Just like eating snails (I almost barfed). As the Supra's my only (and daily) car I've just taken it extra careful and so far so good.

Agree it is a good way to learn but you have to be very careful.

It's okay if the roads are flat or gritted, you need to keep your speed down, be very smooth with the throttle, when changing gear (stay in a higher gear), steering and braking, basically feeling your way along and adjusting your driving to the grip levels. You need to anticipate the road ahead and leave a big gap between you and any traffic infront. It takes a lot of concentration to drive safely in the snow, a momentary lapse in concentration can very quickly get you into trouble.

If there are any inclines or declines on the journey and the road hasn't been gritted then you'll struggle or find it impossible in a RWD car. Going uphill you can lose all traction on the rear tyres, going down hill you can easily lock the brakes or the ABS kicks in and you have b*gger all braking.