The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need help urgent

The-Plethora

Amazing help everyone thanks, I will give it a check over tonight.

It looks like Paul does the replacement clips for under a fiver each...

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-ignition-components-toyota-p-1552.html

I guess I am after 6 of these and I might as well replace them at the same time. Hugely stupid question I am sure but how do these differ from spark plugs? or are the plugs themselves simply under these connectors? (told you I was crap with this stuff)

normal cars have 1 coil with a distributor to 'distribute' the spark. Supras amongst some others have 6 coils, 1 on each plug. That is why you have 6 of those black connectors. The coils are under those connectors. They are held together in pairs with three bracket arrangements. held on with 2x 10mm bolts for each bracket. undo these and the coils lift out. leaving the 6 sparkplugs visible.

My guess would be as the others have said, the clip closest to you looks like the pin has come out a fair bit. the one with the white ring on it.

Just a warning, if you do decide to unplug the connector, have some new ones ready to go back on, as they will have disintegrated inside and fall to pieces. easy to fix

I have just changed mine and put new plugs in, the difference overall is amazing. idles much sweeter, picks up faster etc. my coil pack clips on no1 and no2 cylinder had completely fallen to pieces :) the other 4 looked fine. tbh I didn't even realise I had a problem, I just changed them as a service item. was very pleased to have fixed a fault I didn't know I had :)

Rob

Amazing help everyone thanks, I will give it a check over tonight.

It looks like Paul does the replacement clips for under a fiver each...

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-ignition-components-toyota-p-1552.html

I guess I am after 6 of these and I might as well replace them at the same time. Hugely stupid question I am sure but how do these differ from spark plugs? or are the plugs themselves simply under these connectors? (told you I was crap with this stuff)

hi dave, i had the same problem ages ago with the car. After being stuck on the side of the road for 2 hrs the AA turned up and couldn't help. I played around with the clips and the car came back to life enough to get home. I found that it was the coil pack clips the next day. I had them changed and the problem went straight away. Sorry to hear the same problem has happened again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update and a (probably daft) question.

I have some coil pack connectors on the way from Whifbitz but these could be another week or so yet.

Whilst changing them it would seem a very good idea to change the spark plugs at the same time.

Looking at the link below...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/archive/index.php/t-41927.html

Shows a few options, this bit caught my attention as I want to go BPU before long.

TT/hybrids @ upto 1.3bar

NGK - BCPR7ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR7E (6097) - gap 0.7mm

NGK - BKR8E - gap to 0.7mm

NGK - BCR8ES (3330) - gap 0.7mm

NGK Iridium - BKR7EIX - leave gap alone

NGK Iridium - BKR8EIX - leave gap alone

Denso Platinum - PK20R8 - gap 0.7mm

Denso Iridium - IK22 - leave gap alone

Denso Iridium - IK24 - leave gap alone

Off to the local parts place I go and pickup some BCPR7ES

Now am I being stupider than a stupid person when I ask what the gap refers to and how or where it gets adjusted?

Almost positive its a coil pack or connector prob now, as Jim says as soon as you play with them its back to its old self, for a bit at least. Any idea when you last changed them Jim? they dont look particularly bad on the surface as far as I can tell. I havent taken them out as I hear stories about them falling to bits so not really using the car at the moment.

Following the wiring loom back several of these plastic clips are damaged, not suprising from the cold / hot cycling but any idea where I can get some? If anyone has the parts database app (or indeed could PM me where I could get it) it would help, not a biggie but want to do the lot at the same time.

Matt, cheers for the help. I hope I am looking at the same connector you are after following the loom back.

It seems to be mostly composed of biscuit crumbs and gravel, the outer casing basically fell apart in my hand, so again another possible culprit.

Are these a standard connector and easily sourced or am I better doing away with it altogether and making my own?

Stay tuned for more daft questions when the rest of the bits arrive!

The gap refers to the bit at the threaded end. To be precise the end of the metal pin that sticks out of the white ceramic stuff to the metal that is arched from the thread. You can get a tool that would tell you the exact width of that gap. So far as I know to close the gap a bit you just need to give that arch bit a tap with a hammer (usually best with the tool to messure the gap in place so you don't go too far.

Not sure what the tool is actually called though sorry :s

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to close this off it seems its finally back up and working, I did a blanket job and replaced all 6 coil packs with superspark ones, coil pack connectors and spark plugs, wasn't too hard for someone who knows nothing about cars :)

In the end and by doing so much at once it was a bit tricky to know exactly what was causing the problem but I am very happy it's fixed :innocent:

I have done about 20 miles in it so far with no issue, will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for all the help Dude and everyone else, much appreciated.:thumbs: