The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hesitation from 2nd turbo on auto kickdown

AndrewOW

By the looks of it, it was ignition. I've had a loose live terminal connection for ages now, and now I've fixed it firmly, it seems to have done the trick.

I only use 97 or 99 fuel now, and overall the car feels a lot better and is pretty economical too. I may get the O2 sensor cleaned at some point, but I don't have any issues with the glorious 2nd turbo boost now. :)

loose live terminal has nothing to do with the car boosting or turbo

Of course it does. If you retard or advance the timing it has a MASSIVE impact on boost. Not having any spark due to an intermittent live terminal would pull the ignition at certain points causing massive hesitation and misfiring.

loose live terminal has nothing to do with the car boosting or turbo

It would if the loose connection affected the ignition causing a weak spark that would basically get blown out by higher revs/boost pressure.

And what Scott said :)