The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What you think? - UK Brake Overhaul

optim8

They look great, did you check all the outer piston seals ?

Cheers Dnk. I visually checked the outer boots and they all seems fine, i.e no apparent perishing or leaks. I didn't completely strip the calipers down, perhaps I'll look at getting a seal kit at at some point.

Cheers Dnk. I visually checked the outer boots and they all seems fine, i.e no apparent perishing or leaks. I didn't completely strip the calipers down, perhaps I'll look at getting a seal kit at at some point.

Glad you had a look as most old uk spec calipers outer seals are close to failing, im just rebuilding a set now that looked okay but found this

caliper seal.jpg

Cheers dude, I purchased my UK Glass lights from Steve Manley a while back. Nice chap even got them delivered to my door :)

Good thing is I'm literally a 5 minute drive from my local dealer, so I'll see how much they quote me for the whole setup. Also, sorry to be a pain but does anyone have the correct part numbers I need? Please :innocent:

Sorry mate im not at home so haven't got them to hand

My pleasure mate, if its going to be a while before you do the brake conversion i recomend you do a fluid change if nothing else, i was quite shocked what came out of mine and the improvement with just doing that was noticable, very easily done if you have a vaccum bleader

Glad you had a look as most old uk spec calipers outer seals are close to failing, im just rebuilding a set now that looked okay but found this

Eeeeek, you got me paranoid now... Might have another closer look tonight!!!

Eeeeek, you got me paranoid now... Might have another closer look tonight!!!

Its worth doing as you get small holes or splits in the outer seals then the dirt and moisture gets behind the seal.

Its only a matter of time before the pistons start sticking and if left for long enough will sieze solid.

You could be into new pistons then if they get pitted and their around £15 each.

Get some brake cleaner from Halfords, comes in aerosol spray and a soft toothbrush, you'll need to pop the pads out though for a proper look and get a mirror to look at the underneath

Its nothing to get paranoid about as it wont affect your brakes performance until you have a siezing piston but well worth a couple of hours doing a proper inspection

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Its worth doing as you get small holes or splits in the outer seals then the dirt and moisture gets behind the seal.

Its only a matter of time before the pistons start sticking and if left for long enough will sieze solid.

You could be into new pistons then if they get pitted and their around £15 each.

Get some brake cleaner from Halfords, comes in aerosol spray and a soft toothbrush, you'll need to pop the pads out though for a proper look and get a mirror to look at the underneath

Its nothing to get paranoid about as it wont affect your brakes performance until you have a siezing piston but well worth a couple of hours doing a proper inspection

Cheers Dunk, Appreciate your advice, another trip to Halfords it is then:). That cleaner won't eat into my nice new paint job will it?

Cheers Dunk, Appreciate your advice, another trip to Halfords it is then:). That cleaner won't eat into my nice new paint job will it?

Thats a good question, i've never used it on hand painted calipers before so really can't say if it will or not.

It doesn't harm the seals but thats no guarantee it wont strip your paint off, i best write out a disclaimer quickly :D

What you should have done is clean all the calipers inc seals first with the brake cleaner, then check them, then paint them;), have you got any more paint ?:D

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)