The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gutted - rip tnt

TNT

Ok, and Im purely devils advocate here, but driving over that hole in the road, at the stated speed wouldnt cause you to pile off the road. Theres worse holes in the roads round where I work and I havent crashed.

I feel your pain though

I could see that if the van was taking up a generous part of his road (which they do tend to do) forcing a car coming the other way at 45mph onto that gravel part so they then had to correct to get back onto the tarmac (compounded by the fact it's on a corner) it'd be possible for some drivers to get into a bit of trouble there :)

I got a solicitor who represents the council telling me that as they had examined the road in the last 12 months they weren't legally responsible for the sudden appearance of the pothole......:blink:

FYI - Councils need to show that they had an adequete policy in place to prevent accidents occuring and that the policy was being followed. The Claimant's job is to argue they didn't have a policy or if they did have a policy it wasn't adequete and/or followed. The Defendant needs to prove otherwise.

Ok, and Im purely devils advocate here, but driving over that hole in the road, at the stated speed wouldnt cause you to pile off the road.

I was surprised looking at the pic how far the car had travelled after htting the hole. I'm no expert though.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

I was surprised looking at the pic how far the car had travelled after htting the hole. I'm no expert though.

Really? I thought it had travelled nowhere near far enough and that maybe 45mph was a generous estimate as to the speed - by which I mean, perhaps it was actually LESS. But then, I'm no expert either...

Its not just the hole its that complete soft verge and the previous repair job that looks like it may be responsible for pulling the inside steering wheel more over to the left guiding you in that direction ie off the road. Once you've locked the brakes up on that grass(most NA's don't have ABS) you are going nowhere but straight on. FWIW you've stopped in a fairly short distance the bush probably assisted with the stopping. Insurance companies will write a car of that age off without even thinking about it (they wanted to write my TT aerotop off 4 years ago when a large van put a scrape down my wing, ripped off the wing mirror, and put a hole in the passenger side door FFS they didn't realise it was a £14k car??). Thing to be most thankful for is you didn't get injured or worse still bounced the other way into a huge accident with an on coming van.

Sorry to hear this.

With your photographic evidence I should imagine the council couldn't get out of taking responsibility, The pics quite clearly show the pothole as the cause.

Someone said if they inspected a road within a year then they wouldn't be responsible, but a hole that large must have been reported, probably when it was a lot smaller than it is currently.

My friends and I have reported large potholes where we live after the snow, They are still to do anything about them.