The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Side view cameras

Attero

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update:

It turns out a fuse for the stereo in the fusebox was blown and needed replacing. Exposed wires touching other metal components within the dashboard caused it to blow. It's all fine now.

I've got the first camera half-fitted. Basically it's hanging on the Supe and the power/accessory wire needs to be clipped onto the appropriate wires.

Here's how I did it, and it's simple!

IMG00201-20100503-1726.jpg

1. In the drivers (& passenger) footwell next to the fusebox is a yellow rubber access point for electronics. The orange one will be used for all the Supras magical electrical components, whilst the yellow is made free for us to use. I pulled it out, and cut the end off, pulled the wires through and placed it back.

The yellow access point is removed in the photo below, but here is a rough idea of what I'm on about.

IMG00205-20100503-1728.jpg

2. On the other side of this access point is the wheel arch. I simply took off the mud guards and pulled the wire through into a hole into the engine bay. I could then easily roll the wire through the engine bay (or the side panel) and place through behind the headlamp and into the front bumper.

IMG00204-20100503-1728.jpg IMG00203-20100503-1728.jpg IMG00202-20100503-1727.jpg

3. Next is to drill the hole. The camera came with a drill to use thankfully and at that price I should expect so too! I found the perfect location and drilled. Yes, I was panicking... but it turned out perfect! I slotted the camera through and no regrets were made! Barely noticeable, especially with having a black Supra.

IMG00211-20100505-2008.jpg

4. Lastly, your RCA + power/accessory cables are now lying in your footwell, so all you have to do is run them under the carpet and up into the dash on the side to connect to the head unit. I've yet to do this part because I need to find some wire clips.

IMG00206-20100503-1728.jpg

It displays a great picture and is extremely useful for me! :)

Now all I have to do is get the second camera to the fit to the other side.

nice work mate :) very impressed.

seems like alot of hassle for something the council could just bang in and solve alot of problems, all it would take is a mirror either side opposite the road ( or wherever they see fit) and its done.

Selfish buggers !!

Cheers. I got it fully working now, however the wires keep playing up and the image keeps gettin distorted.... so I need to figure that out.

I took a couple of pictures to show how the image is and I had a video made but because I used a blackberrys ever-so-useful video camera, it decided to crash as usual.

IMG00214-20100508-1211.jpg

IMG00213-20100508-1208.jpg