The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sticky caliper ?

Lee_e

right oh iv got ya now, just as i thought, i think i broke one of those off whilst changing the pads last year :blink: didnt think muchof it but now i know why i have a seized caliper then !!

dumb ass !!

Check the piston for damage around its outer diameter, it might have pit marks in it, if these do not clean off with 1200 wet & dry with wd40 then buy a new piston, approx £15

that £15 from toyota price ?

if so i think ill just get 2 new pistons and the refurb kit, might aswell seeing as im taking the brakes apart then i know there not the problem.

Im going to take the sticking side apart tomoz and see how it looks. :)

cheers DNK

The best thing to do is call Steve Manley on 01865 291 333, he doesn't need part numbers or chassis numbers like most Toyota dealers.

Tell him the cars an import though as im sure the pistons are differant diameters to uk spec hence the seals will be too.

I've bought £1000's of parts off him so just tell him dunk told you to give him a call, he's a top guy and will give you the best discount he can.

If theres no marks on the outer diameter of the piston its a waste of money changing it so best to pop out the 2 pistons 1st and have a good look at them.

I will get the brakes checked then ring him if i need anything, cheers for that info dude.

Also, im only going to be doing the front calipers, so as i will be draining some of the brake fluid from them i have a set of do-luck braided hoses do you think it would be ok to put them on the fronts but not the rears untill i can get time to do them ? wont cause any harm will it ?

cheers again

be best to go see my mate who works at a performance garage then :) he has ramps etc so he can do it for me once iv refurbed the brakes etc will put them back together then go see him and get the new lines in.

thanks for all your help dunk very much appreciated, youve been a star !! :D

Promise me you wont do what my neighbour did, he stripped his brakes down then put the wheels back on and drove off up the rd to the car spares shop :blink:

Luckily i was on my drive and saw what he'd done and stopped him.

Scary !!!

Glad to help mate and a few ££'s spent now will save you lots more ££'s and hassle later.

£70 for a calliper are you sure, where to is that from? (quote)

Can't see you getting a brand new o/e caliper for £70, uk rear 2 pot is over £150 each (quote)

I was pretty sure new calipers would cost well over £70 ish, Is that direct from toyota dealership ? if so then i think i might buy into some new calipers, with the caliper you dont just get the housing do you ? (Quote)

not sure if you get the slides as well and i don't think they are o/e but here is a link

https://safe.brakeparts.co.uk/loadnew.html £70.79 +vat

https://safe.brakeparts.co.uk/loadnew.html £93.05 +vat

now i haven't used them yet so i don't know how good they

you might have to look for the model you want

Edited by madwoody1
missed out something (see edit history)