The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank pulley failed the tip-ex test

bigbloodyturbo

Guest Suprafly

Mine went a few months back, I had no squeeks or squeals, just noticed the dash lights dimming and battery losing charge, on closer inspection I noticed the grooved outer ring sitting on the intercooler pipe which runs horizontally below, but the belt was still running around the damper, how this happened without throwing the belt is beyond me.

I immediately contacted Mr.T and the cost of a new crank pulley and a new auxillery belt totalled £296.63.

But about 2 years ago I got a used low mileage crank pulley from Silverstone garage at a cost of £120 delivered, so if cost is an issue you may want to contact them, but personally I'd go with the new one with an aux belt from Mr.T.

Silverstone garage 01327 858 000

Edited by Suprafly
typo (see edit history)

Mine went a few months back, I had no squeeks or squeals, just noticed the dash lights dimming and battery losing charge, on closer inspection I noticed the grooved outer ring sitting on the intercooler pipe which runs horizontally below, but the belt was still running around the damper, how this happened without throwing the belt is beyond me.

I had exactly the same thing happen to mine except the outer, dropped on top the under tray, so out of site. When we took the car to bits for my replacement engine, I could not believe that the belt had cut matching grooves in the now rubber outer of the pulley. Like you I though my battery had given up, everything else seemed fine.

I had posted a clip of the impending doom a few weeks earlier.

You can see the outer wobble slightly, with the bolt and inner hub running true.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Yeah i'm definately not driving it now and i'm going to buy a new stock item tomorrow. I went out this afternoon after I got back from work to see if there was any play in it and I can rock the outer ring with my bare hand. Scary when you think about it.

I dont think there's much point in getting a used one as if mine and so many other peoples have let go then the used one might do the same, only it might not do me the courtesy of giving me a warning next time!

I forget who it was but one of the guys on this forum crashed his Supra when the crank pulley fell off. When the pulley fell off the belt came off with it, which of course left him with no powersteering - mid-corner :eek:

Pah, lightweights. Mine came off as I steamed into a roundabout on a dual carriageway. A bit of armwrestling and it was all back under control again. Made it a half mile to the office before the water started to boil up.

I immediately contacted Mr.T and the cost of a new crank pulley and a new auxillery belt totalled £296.63.

But about 2 years ago I got a used low mileage crank pulley from Silverstone garage at a cost of £120 delivered, so if cost is an issue you may want to contact them, but personally I'd go with the new one with an aux belt from Mr.T.

Silverstone garage 01327 858 000

Personally I would not mess about with 2nd hand pulleys if you are paying labour to have it fitted, we DO fit 2nd hand but only if asked or as happens a few times pulleys fall apart when doing a FMS and the customer needs the car back.

How DO you tell if the pulley is low mileage????

Guest Suprafly

Good question.

I took their word for it!

It was for an n/a I had a few years ago, I was changing the cam and aux belt but on removal of the crank pulley it came apart, but I was planning on selling that car soon after so thats why I opted for the used low mileage one, mind you when it arrived it looked brand new.