The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hid kit

a98pmalcolm

Need to knock this one on the head.

The difference in the amount of light projected between 4300k - 10000k is so negligible it isn't even worth mentioning. I will though, 200 lumens is the average at 6000k, 400 is the average at 10000k with 4300 managing 3200 lumens on average. Your average regular bulb puts out around 500-800 lumens with BMW premium lights putting out around 1000. From this you can see that regardless of which set you choose you are going to be getting a FAR better light.

The chart listed in the first post is also meaningless as:

1 It isn't at all accurate.

2 The only way to actually see what it looks like is in the flesh, and even then you would have to buy the same brand. I can post up link after link to different charts and they all vary wildly. Some show 6000k as the most white, some show 4700k as the most white. FWIW 6000k is the most popular and it is also becoming the industry standard with most car manufacturers (started off with around the 3800 then moved onto 4300 now onto 6000).

Base your entire choice on the colour of light you wish to have. Take nothing at all else into consideration. You couldn't tell the difference in the amount of light anyway (unless you go silly high like 12000k). Make sure you see, with your own eyes, the lights you want before you buy them.

Everything you read on here, and on most google searches, is forum talk. It is regurgitation of things read elsewhere, mostly bias opinions based on the type of HID lights the OP has bought.

Take from that what you will ;)

I just ordered some from Ebay from Hong Kong - £33 quid delivered, took 5 days to get here (quite good!). Ordered them for my mothers Puma as the stock lights on that are terrible, and she has to drive back roads to get to work =/

The ones I ordered look practically identicle to some of the more exspensive ones ive seen - same type and colour bulb fixings, same type of bulb.. some even have the same looking ballast and are 40 quid dearer. The ballasts arent "tiny" but theyre not huge either, about the size of a wallet - and the instruction manual included was for a HB4 set lol ! however theyre relatively plug and play (even I managed to do it.. and i can short a batter just by looking at it) - in theory.. plugged them together and just have to put them in the car tomorrow.

Theyre 6000k ones. The bulbs look plastic (Thats all I seem to find, even on the £100+ kits) as opposed to some of the other kinds of bulbs with metal plug and ceramic base of the bulb. No Bi-Xenon (the bi xenon kits all look different) I am expecting to the difference to be quite noticable and may even get some for the Supra - at 33 quid.. worth a gamble!

Oh and someone posted here about finding replacement bulbs, the kits on that website look pretty identicle (bulb wise and connectors) to the one ive got from ebay, so I imagine the bulbs arent too hard to replace.

How can i tell if i have these? My lights are very good and have a nice blue tint not like some more yellow sort of a colour you see on the roads.

When you turn them on do they flick on & then slowly grow and change to a brighter light? Park next to a normal light car & the difference should be quite a bit. If you don't notice a huge difference then it could you have normal bulbs which just a slight blue tint which makes then whitesh.

I've gone for 6k, very slightly blue though 4300k is best for white light. I wanted a slight blue tint but not a chavy blue, never been pulled over for them & I drive in London a lot with the Supra. Especially in London City.

somthing like that:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-89-93-HID-H4-8000K-Xenon-Conversion-KIT_W0QQitemZ250540655438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a5563034e

Does it look like a good kit?

Now with the supra headlights there 3 lights per headlight.

I think its fog, low beam and high beam.....is that correct? sorry im still learning.

If this this kit only comes with 2 bulbs (1 per headlight) would they replace the low beam or hi beam? also i suppose a matching fog light bulb will be needed just to suit the look? what bulb would i need for that?

Thanks for everyones time.

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

4300K to 6000K are best if you are looking for road visibility. 4300K is pure white, 6000K have delicate hint of blue, not over the top like anything over 8000K. Even 8000K is too blue to my taste.

Regards

Konrad

ditto

exactly what I was going to say

Fitted some today to my moms puma - took about an hour all in all as the puma lights need to have the rear casing drilled out, and theres not much room to mount the ballasts either.

They are brighter than the 60w bulbs we removed by far, but we did notice that the light seems to be wobbling (projected light). When you look at them its not noticable, its just the beam they put out does seem to wobble a little - its not a flicker either.

The kit was only £33 so its not bad, but 6000k was tinted blue as posted and I think if I were to get these for the supe I would go 4300k. 8000k is just asking for trouble from the police really.

...but we did notice that the light seems to be wobbling (projected light). When you look at them its not noticable, its just the beam they put out does seem to wobble a little - its not a flicker either...

I had the same with one of my HID lights. A replacement ballast unit cured it.

Ah, it seems to be happening on both of them, its a very slight wobble when the engines running. It could be to do with vibrations from the actual car..?

Hopefully it wont be a problem though as it should still light the road up. Stock Puma lights are absoloutly terrible.. and it was a 60w bulb too.

My Mrs has a Puma, so I know how poor the standard lights are.

The 'wobbly' light on my car looked just as though the bulb was loose in the light unit and moving. I would never have thought that a new ballast would cure it, but it did.

Are you sure all your connections are good?

They were all securely connected up when I put the unit back together. I may have got a dud set of ballasts but theyre literally new, arrived last Monday, installed this Sunday.

Tried them again tonight. On power up the light is solid and doesnt move.. after maybe 2 minutes it does start to wobble a bit.

It doesnt seem to cause an issue, and Pumas can lower the lights too so its as low as it will go so as to not dazzle anyone - but apart from the inconvenient wobble is there anything bad about it?

Tried them again tonight. On power up the light is solid and doesnt move.. after maybe 2 minutes it does start to wobble a bit.

Mine was exactly the same

It doesnt seem to cause an issue, and Pumas can lower the lights too so its as low as it will go so as to not dazzle anyone - but apart from the inconvenient wobble is there anything bad about it?

I'm not so sure MOT testers will pass wobbling/flickering lights - and it'll look like the car has a lighting fault. Possible Police pull there.

If I get my mom pulled up by the cops she isnt going to be very happy with me lol. I think I need to get it out onto a carpark to see how bad the wobble is - oh well, it was an ebay punt anyways and I wasnt expecting miracles, was mainly to see if they would make any difference as the stock lights, as you know, are pretty poor in those Pumas.

Gonna have a word with the ebay chap see what cant be done ;)

Cheers ! :)