The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aeromotive FPR port thread size.

hodge

Thats -6 or -10. A 'yankism' it may be but thats what all firms like thinkautomotive know when you call.

But IIRC -AN fittings are actually the wrong ones for the Aeromotive FPR.

The difference being that specifically that an -6 AN fitting does not require an O'ring or a seal of any kind because of the conical end to the fitting that seals the joint.

I seem to remember the Aeromotive FPR has a 9/16 UNF thread, so if you just fit a -6 AN fitting it will leak because it doesn't have the cone machined into the bottom of the hole to accept the -6 form.

The correct fitting would be a -6 hose to 9/16 UNF male. You'll also need an O'ring or some other kind of seal to prevent it from leaking.

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember having to fit an O'ring to mine for this very reason.

It'll either be 9/16"-18 (if it looks about half inch diameter inside the FPR) or 7/8"-14 (if it looks more than 3/4" dimater in the FPR).

You will need an O ring on the side that screws into the regulator and the other side needs to be whatever suits the fuel line size you are intending to run (most like a -6, -8 or -10 AN/JIC male).

Edit: Tony is correct.

Whenever we buy a reg and ends and wherever it comes from the ends are the same and they always have an O ring on them, I can't remember seeing anywhere in the reg for the conical part to seal on. Never had a leak doing it that way so thats how mine will stay.

Whenever we buy a reg and ends and wherever it comes from the ends are the same and they always have an O ring on them, I can't remember seeing anywhere in the reg for the conical part to seal on. Never had a leak doing it that way so thats how mine will stay.

You are right dude - there is no mating cone in the regulator for an AN/JIC fitting to seal against.

So you're using -6 AN with an O'ring?

It'll work, because the O'ring is sealing it, but the conical bit that makes the fitting -6 AN as opposed to a 9/16 UNF is doing sod all.

The thing to be careful of is if the hole you're trying to fit the - 6AN into isn't designed to use those fittings it may not be deep enough. Obviously in Dude's case it was, but it may not always be so for every application.

So you're using -6 AN with an O'ring?

It'll work, because the O'ring is sealing it, but the conical bit that makes the fitting -6 AN as opposed to a 9/16 UNF is doing sod all.

The thing to be careful of is if the hole you're trying to fit the - 6AN into isn't designed to use those fittings it may not be deep enough. Obviously in Dude's case it was, but it may not always be so for every application.

I have had them seal up without the o ring, you would think that something as dear as an Aeromotive would come with the right fittings.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-fpr_upgrade.htm

If you are contemplating using anything other than normal petrol the O ring may need to be other than Buna-N material. I don't THINK Buna-N likes Ethanol, for example. It's a horrible way to seal an AN fitting, and typically Yank. Aeromotive say the FPR's are Ethanol compatible, so assuming they come with Buna-N o rings you should be OK with E fuels

port.jpg

port2.jpg

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this as I have been looking into getting fittings for an Aeromotive FPR. According to the Aeromotive website the thread is ORB-10. I have no idea what that actually means but I'm guessing its a -10 size, which would be 7/8 UNF, without the conical end.

This is a "ORB-10 to AN-6" downsizer.

You're absolutely correct. It was the point I was trying to make back when this thread was originally put up. Putting a -6 AN fitting into the port without an O'ring won't seal correctly. You need an 9/16 UNF fitting with an O'ring to seal to the FPR. The other side of this fitting will go to whatever size hose you've got.

So if you have a -6 hose you would use a 9/16 UNF to -6 AN fitting.

You're absolutely correct. It was the point I was trying to make back when this thread was originally put up. Putting a -6 AN fitting into the port without an O'ring won't seal correctly. You need an 9/16 UNF fitting with an O'ring to seal to the FPR. The other side of this fitting will go to whatever size hose you've got.

So if you have a -6 hose you would use a 9/16 UNF to -6 AN fitting.

Yeah the o-ring was specifically mentioned too, clearly the linchpin of the thing :D

Just spoke to the guy selling and he said that ORB-10 is exactly the same as AN-10 with regards to the thread. The difference is that the end is cut off and an O-ring is required :)

Aeromotive do a couple of different size FPR they do 1 with 9/16 UNF and a 7/8 UNF for bigger powered cars.

The 1 I've got is the 9/16 UNF model.

According to the guy i'm talking to they only offer the 1 now and it's the AN-10 one (7/8). MVP still have both port sizes listed on their website but I didn't contact them to see if it was out of date.