The mkiv Supra Owners Club

chasing the sound

trinitom

my car is making a strange sound on idle like the one when the turbo is going poff "the famous whine sound".

this only happens at 600rpm if more than that the sound disappear.

i thing the sound is coming from the top of the head exhaust side.

can someone tell me if there's any bearings on the camshaft's or pulleys?

thanks

He says "idle" but 600 seems VERY low to me. Sounds like that could be something to do with it, like the engine trying to suck really hard through the nearly closed throttle.

Yes my bad :innocent:

I don't think the turbo will be spinning or spinning enough to create any pressure unless it was a bearing but that will lead to alot of smoke etc.

Maybe a alternator bearing?

Hard to judge without hearing it?

Yes my bad :innocent:

I don't think the turbo will be spinning or spinning enough to create any pressure unless it was a bearing but that will lead to alot of smoke etc.

Maybe a alternator bearing?

Hard to judge without hearing it?

Can't see any way of it being the turbo. The stock turbo's don't spin as freely as you would think. They spin up during idle but not enough to create any real pressure. The engine sucks a lot harder than they blow at idle ooeerr.

When is your engine at 600rpm? Sounds like a different fault to mine, I would have to nearly stall my engine to get it that low. It constant or only after heating up? Cold start etc etc.

well mine normally sits at around 600/50rpm and sounds normal,

about the sound it's constant and only after fully warm.

600rpm? not 6000? Can you do a sound recording of it and post up?

yes i can do but only tomorrow.

well mine normally sits at around 600/50rpm and sounds normal,

about the sound it's constant and only after fully warm.

yes i can do but only tomorrow.

I think the norm is about 800 at idle, 600 is certainly low. When it starts to make the noise gently push on the throttle to get 1000rpm (might be difficult but its a must) and see if the noise goes away. If it does I think it might just be the car struggling to breathe.

I think the norm is about 800 at idle, 600 is certainly low. When it starts to make the noise gently push on the throttle to get 1000rpm (might be difficult but its a must) and see if the noise goes away. If it does I think it might just be the car struggling to breathe.

by just turning the ac on the sound goes away,

its just at 600/50rpm, 700rpm and all good

edit- how do i turn up the rpm?

Edited by trinitom (see edit history)

You are comfortable adjusting your idle control? It's not straight forward to a layman.

The reason why it goes away when you turn on the AC is that the engine is having to work harder to run it, hence the revs going up... leading the noise to go away.

You are comfortable adjusting your idle control? It's not straight forward to a layman.

The reason why it goes away when you turn on the AC is that the engine is having to work harder to run it, hence the revs going up... leading the noise to go away.

i think i can do it myself with the forum people help :D

if i'm not wrong the adjuster is the one nearly to the throttle cable adjuster right?

haa, i don't have that! :rolleyes:

so the only way to raise the rpm is using a voltmeter and rotating the icv?

i'm not very comfortable using voltmeters! :rolleyes:

Leave that alone then then until you find out if the noise needs attention of whatever is causing it.

And as scott said just increase rpm slowly to about 1000rpm to see if it changes/disappears etc