The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painted me Calipers

Stu_Fraser

Jake just buy it in the spray can from Halfrauds
I could do that mate but I've got all the spraying gear and tins of paint work out a lot cheaper for same thing. Aerosol cans are just a very expensive way of buying thinners! :p

Im concerned about trapping more heat in the calipers with the wrong paints etc, i'd have thought p/coat could cause this as well.

I'll do some more searching and find something definately made for the job.

Dnk

Dont want to sound like a doom merchant but i'd have thought whatever goes on the calipers will need to resist the corrosive nature of the brake dust and wouldnt have thought p/coat would stand up very well. Just like it doesnt on wheels.

Hope im wrong though.

Ive found some high temp paint now which is also supposed to help dissperce heat so i'll be trying that.

Dnk

Just like it doesnt on wheels.

Hope im wrong though.

I hope you are wrong too! Powdercoat no good on wheels? There must be zillions or people out there with powdercoated wheels, myself included (two sets, in fact).

What are you basing that info on?

Brake dust is corrosive and eats into p/coated wheels the same as it eats into polished or laquered wheels.

You have to regulary wash it off to stop this happening, also the heat cycle doesnt help and this will be even worse on the actual caliper with much higher temps than the wheels get to.

I didnt say powder coat is no good on wheels. Its great on wheels and a lot of other stuff, its just brake dust likes to eat into it thats all.

Dnk

I had minepowdercoated. Its standing up to the heat fine, but it was a pain in the proverbial for the company to to because of all the masking involved.

I also did this..... I saved a packet by doing the masking myself. and got the whole lot done.. i.e. shot blasting and powder coating for 50 quid! (though cant guarantee that price is repeatable) If you live in south east london/kent- try Cray Metal Finishes... I had the number somehwere...... *fumbles around* 01322 220662 and ask for Paul (though he was off sick last time I called)

hammerite will stand the heat, i always use it, after a couple of years it looses its colour a little but it will only take a small touch up, this will also need no primer as its primer and paint all in one tin, much faster and less messing around = less to go wrong ;)

give them a good rub down with a wire brush then rub them with some 240 sand paper, brush 3 thin coats on leaving it 10 mins between coats to flash off, LEAVE THE CAR STAND 24 HOURS or it will all bubble up with the heat