The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dyno run with cats and stock air box

Chiefgroover

EGT's are way safer, than safe. And also I dynoed the car on 4th. Reason of not going to 5th, was that I didn't want to over spin the dyno bearing for no reason.

The dyno session was stopped at 665ps, at exactly 19 psi. So it was actually 1.29 bars to be exact. The reason we stopped dynoying the car was that the mechanics that worked on the car and put the engine in, thought that motor mount nuts on the bottom are only for show and they were hand tight. So what happened is that while on WOT Ernie went like "STOP!!!!!" and the engine lifted like 7cm from one side. No damage has been done, since clearances of aftermarket parts are Ernie's quality of built, so no worries there. We took the car of the hubs and actually put it on the lift, tighten the motor on the car and it was getting too late, so we called it a day.

Then we got home and I told Ernie, if he wants to try decat and higher boost (as I don't feel that going over almost 700 ps with cats is wise, stress of back pressure on turbo-engine). So we took the bolt on set of cats out, and replaced it with the decat pipe. Results was pretty phenomenal, the boost was instanly over 400-500 rpm faster spooling, and I went all the way up to 23-24 psi, running a safe 11.7:1 afr. Knock on the aem was a mere 1.5-2.5 volts with maxing at 2.5-2.7 at high boost, high rpms. Ignition is very very safe. For some people of course running 11.7 means trouble, but we have some hidden tuning ticks that I prefer to keep them secret. I just want to say that Crazy Ernie after tuning was on the strip, with launch control more than 15 times of the line, trying to brake into 11s but only got low 12s due to wrong setup of wheels,tires and suspension. Then took me to the airport racing crazy for about 45 min constantly, and then the engine was still running like silk at a mere of 800rpm idling at 14.7 afrs without even a blip.

I need to say that next time I'll be up to his place I will top end his intake manifold running at least 2.2 bars (hope the turbo doesn't suck in the whole airbox in at that boost). For sure this car is choked and if it was mine I would just put a 100mm downpipe-exhaust , and a big air filter in the front. Probably make at same boost levels in excess of 80-100 ps more, but A LOT noisier and NOT neighborhood friendly, as I live far in the country and no worries about noise.

Trip was a success though, as we proved that cats and airboxes can go up high and a almost 700ps car can actually be road legal with the right tuning when it's built properly. I would probably not change anything on this car if I would drive it everyday, even fuel consumption is probably 2/3 his new GTR, the way Ernie drives.

From your print out it looks like the car has been dynoed in 3rd!!!! Any reason for that?? Personally I would have thought the EGT's would be high at an AFR of hi 11's, the AFR under boost makes very little difference to power but a lot of difference to safety, saying all that Dimitri's mapping is well known so its prob just a diff slant, he is the 'mad scientist' after all!!!! Just don't want peeps running out and altering their ECU's without his know how.

lol.....Dude.....after reading a report on supraforums many years ago about Sean McElderry tuning someone's car to 14.1 across the board, I ran my big twins supra @ 13.8 afr, and it survived 1.1 bar for quite some time before the mid pipe nearly melted the carpet underneath the drivers seat lmao.......ended up running 10.8 after that lol. That was the crazy days of myself mapping the Map ECU :0

EGT's are way safer, than safe. And also I dynoed the car on 4th. Reason of not going to 5th, was that I didn't want to over spin the dyno bearing for no reason.

The dyno session was stopped at 665ps, at exactly 19 psi. So it was actually 1.29 bars to be exact. The reason we stopped dynoying the car was that the mechanics that worked on the car and put the engine in, thought that motor mount nuts on the bottom are only for show and they were hand tight. So what happened is that while on WOT Ernie went like "STOP!!!!!" and the engine lifted like 7cm from one side. No damage has been done, since clearances of aftermarket parts are Ernie's quality of built, so no worries there. We took the car of the hubs and actually put it on the lift, tighten the motor on the car and it was getting too late, so we called it a day.

Then we got home and I told Ernie, if he wants to try decat and higher boost (as I don't feel that going over almost 700 ps with cats is wise, stress of back pressure on turbo-engine). So we took the bolt on set of cats out, and replaced it with the decat pipe. Results was pretty phenomenal, the boost was instanly over 400-500 rpm faster spooling, and I went all the way up to 23-24 psi, running a safe 11.7:1 afr. Knock on the aem was a mere 1.5-2.5 volts with maxing at 2.5-2.7 at high boost, high rpms. Ignition is very very safe. For some people of course running 11.7 means trouble, but we have some hidden tuning ticks that I prefer to keep them secret. I just want to say that Crazy Ernie after tuning was on the strip, with launch control more than 15 times of the line, trying to brake into 11s but only got low 12s due to wrong setup of wheels,tires and suspension. Then took me to the airport racing crazy for about 45 min constantly, and then the engine was still running like silk at a mere of 800rpm idling at 14.7 afrs without even a blip.

I need to say that next time I'll be up to his place I will top end his intake manifold running at least 2.2 bars (hope the turbo doesn't suck in the whole airbox in at that boost). For sure this car is choked and if it was mine I would just put a 100mm downpipe-exhaust , and a big air filter in the front. Probably make at same boost levels in excess of 80-100 ps more, but A LOT noisier and NOT neighborhood friendly, as I live far in the country and no worries about noise.

Trip was a success though, as we proved that cats and airboxes can go up high and a almost 700ps car can actually be road legal with the right tuning when it's built properly. I would probably not change anything on this car if I would drive it everyday, even fuel consumption is probably 2/3 his new GTR, the way Ernie drives.

Dimitri you are going soft, I remember us mapping on the A27 2.5 bar with race fuel, you wanted to do a flat out pull for about 2 miles and that poor guy on a ZX9R thought he would race us, you just kept looking at the laptop shouting more more is all good!!!! I think we hit about 211 leptons, then we went for lunch!!!