The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odd idling problem + Red Warning triangle

garetheves

will it make it to Mascrat tonight? if so, maybe one of the other Supra owners will know how to do it properly?

Nah mate. gonna have to give it a miss unless i can get a lift with someone cos just brought it back to Wigan and thought i was gonna have to call the RAC out. Honestly thought it was gonna die on me. Deffinately got worse, kept cutting out, then starting again as if it was stalling. Wierd "popping" sound coming from the exhaust as well.

Something i did notice when i got back was that when i pressed accelerator and the power cut out (by the time i got home this was every time i pressed the pedal) the turbos still continued to spool, but nothing past through them to the exhaust.

It really has got me baffled. Sounds very much like a fuel problem.

So you've got pins TE1 and E1 shorted in the diag port (you've not got a VVTi I assume:) ) and you turn the ignition to position 2 *and deimmobilise the car* and the light is just lit up? Hmmm.

-Ian

Thats exactly right. gonna go out again now and try again.

Nah mate. gonna have to give it a miss unless i can get a lift with someone cos just brought it back to Wigan and thought i was gonna have to call the RAC out. Honestly thought it was gonna die on me. Deffinately got worse, kept cutting out, then starting again as if it was stalling. Wierd "popping" sound coming from the exhaust as well.

Something i did notice when i got back was that when i pressed accelerator and the power cut out (by the time i got home this was every time i pressed the pedal) the turbos still continued to spool, but nothing past through them to the exhaust.

It really has got me baffled. Sounds very much like a fuel problem.

Hmmm, it might be worth checking if the silencer material has bailed out of the silencer and bunged the whole exhaust up?

-Ian

Ian - Just re-checked the error code and it worked this time. must have been doing something wrong earlier. Its coming up with Error 14, which is on the link below.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13920

Looks to be an ignition problem. Could it be the immobilizer in any way? Any other suggestions. The fact it only occurs under 3,000rpm fits whats happening with mine cos must admit once on the motorway it didnt feel as bad.

Cheers for all help guys

P.S. Ian - dont have a silencer

Aha, good old number 14 :) Either you've got a big fat misfire that is affecting all the cylinders and is quite harsh, or, your IGF line from the igniter pack to the ECU is problematic/nonexistent.

This is the signal returned to the ECU after a successful spark event. It's also a good indicator of RPM, although it's not what the rev counter or ECu uses. However, any aftermarket thingy, like an SAFC, E-Manage, R-vit et al, will tap into this line, and that's where problems can occur...

You need to check pin E9-58 on the ECU (pin 59 on the big double grey block). See here for the pinout diagram. You'll probably need to unplug the ECU and multimeter for continuity from that pin to the IGF pin on the igniter pack plug, see if there is a break or a high resistance connection.

See attached pic for where the igniter pack is. The IGF line on that is pin 3 of the 4-pin plug, Red with a yellow stripe.

-Ian

igniter.jpg

Cheers for that mate. Gonna go check that tonight. Understood the diagram on that link fine but not completely sure i understand what you say i should do, remember im acomplete novice with engines and electronics. Any chance of a "dummy" guide briefly? and what equip i need.

Cheers mate, big help

Problem sorted cheers. Turned out to only be one of the coils going into one of the spark plugs had come lose so was only running off 5 pistons. Phew.

Still getting the warning light though, will this be because it is now stored in the ECU and i need to reset it to remove it. If this is the case can anyone post a pic or instructions of where the fuse is so i odnt have to just disconnect the battery .

Cheers

In this case, the warning light on the dash only lights up when a problem occurs, not because one is stored, so you may still be having problems. Clear the ECU by removing the EFI1 fuse for a minute or so, then see if the light lights up again. If it does, check your codes again, it may be a different problem.

-Ian