The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PCI graphics card with Aero support?

Willson

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 which only has PCI (not express) and "X1" PCI-E sockets.

I would like to be able to run the Windows 7 Aero interface if possible. And I need a dvi/hdmi output.

Looking to spend less than £75.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

TIA :)

from a quick google search here is a bit fo a review >

upgrading simply isn't an option when it comes to the system's Intel-integrated graphics. Scoring a woeful 4.5 frames a second in our Doom 3 test, the graphics just can't cope with the latest games - and because the proprietary Dell motherboard has no AGP or PCI-Express 16x slot for a graphics card, you can't replace the graphics card with anything better. For a system designed for home entertainment, this is a serious

flaw. In fact, limited upgrade potential is an issue throughout this system. Only one PCI-Express slot is free for internal add-in cards, while outside, only four USB 2 ports are provided to plug in external devices and there's no FireWire.

Novatech GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 HDMI/DVI PCI adaptor is available for £44 from Novatech.co.uk . to be honest probably not worth the outlay for runnign windows 7 especially with aero.

Why do you say its not worth it? I have windows 7 on another computer and its pretty damned sexy :cool:

oh windows 7 is very sexy, I 've run it through all the beta testing, I'm just not sure a pci card will have the bandwidth to run the aero system especially if you only have a small amount of system memory. do you at least have 1gig of memory ?

If you do go and buy a pci card I'd be very interested in how it all runs :) oh and maybe best to check in the bios that the onboard graphics can be turned off or supplemented by a pci card. Dell sometimes dumb down the bios so people can't mess things up or add stuff.

Ok I got the Geforce 8400 GS and it does run Aero. But not as well as I had hoped. ie, its a bit jerky at times. it only scores 2.1 on the "windows experience" thing for desktop graphics.

I am still happy with it though, as it allows me to play 1080p films now.

The jerkiness is most evident in the media center in Windows 7 - when scrolling through the movie selection. About 25% of the time, it scrolls perfectly smooth though.

Do you think upgrading from 1 GB to 2 GB would help?

Thanks for your advice :)

Ok I got the Geforce 8400 GS and it does run Aero. But not as well as I had hoped. ie, its a bit jerky at times. it only scores 2.1 on the "windows experience" thing for desktop graphics.

My laptop with on-board Intel 865 graphics scores more than that, you got the correct drivers loaded :search:

Make sure you download the latest drivers from Nvidia ;)

I don't think the 9500gt is available in PCI non express. At least I couldn't find it.

I installed the driver from the CD that came with it and have access to the NVidia control panel etc.

The "Gaming graphics" scores 4.5 or something but I don't use it for games.

I am thinking of just buying a newer PC with a PCI express socket.

I suppose I could just replace the motherboard. I have never built a PC before though.

BTW, my other desktop machine scores a 3.2 for desktop graphics using its integrated graphics.

edit - I will certainly get the latest driver off the web tonight.

Your processor will probably be dealing with most of that. If it does what you need it to do then thats good enough IMO. For the cost of Ram i would stick in a matched 2gb pair if i was you. The computer probably won't have the fastest ram your PC can handle so a totally new set might be in order to speed things up a little bit.

It's so cheap nowadays that it's always worth it.