The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mycroft, anything else i can do?

eyefi

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: from Mycroft on 1:33 pm on Mar. 1, 2002

Well, if you arm yourself with that measurement, you can ask for that dim from any wheel manufacturer and they will oblige.

more help required im afraid, ive got the measurement (170mm out from hub center i need 48mm clearance to the back of the spoke), spoken to taka kaira and they say that they can not get this measurment, not even from the manufacturers (manaray). i can not find any contact details for manaray myself. there is no way im going to buy these wheels, wait 5 weeks for delivery only to find out they dont fit the brakes, which seems to be what taka kaira r suggesting.....

mycroft any other suggestions, do u have any good contacts at taka kaira?

Quote: from eyefi on 1:19 pm on Mar. 13, 2002[br]

Quote: from Mycroft on 1:33 pm on Mar. 1, 2002

Well, if you arm yourself with that measurement, you can ask for that dim from any wheel manufacturer and they will oblige.

more help required im afraid, ive got the measurement (170mm out from hub center i need 48mm clearance to the back of the spoke), spoken to taka kaira and they say that they can not get this measurment, not even from the manufacturers (manaray). i can not find any contact details for manaray myself. there is no way im going to buy these wheels, wait 5 weeks for delivery only to find out they dont fit the brakes, which seems to be what taka kaira r suggesting.....

mycroft any other suggestions, do u have any good contacts at taka kaira?

It's hard enough getting custom rims done over here, dealing with Japan could be the infamous recipe for disaster. What about Image Wheels in Birmingham? They do light billet centred 3 piece rims, and understand these things. I always buy rims on the "is the offset correct, will the brakes clear, are they light, are they strong, can I buy another if I damage just one" basis, the looks are very far down my list, if even considered, though. Some of the Image range look OK to me, but I don't really bother about that side of rims too much, to be fair.

thanks for that mycroft, the guy i was speaking to at first (jimmie) was very helpfull but my last response (not jimmie) was blunt & uncooperative. we'll see what happens there.

chris, u r the second person to recommend image. they seem to have a good reputation. apparently they offer a really good discount if u order more than 1 set. the 1st person to recommend them also said they can make any design u want. ill check them out this week.

what exactly is involved in the manufacture of a set of rims, how is it done?

alex, i looked thru the other posts, but my problem has been around a specific set of wheels from taka kaira that fit my budget & specs. its just that they r not being very helpfull

thanks again

Quote: from eyefi on 10:44 pm on Mar. 13, 2002[br]thanks for that mycroft, the guy i was speaking to at first (jimmie) was very helpfull but my last response (not jimmie) was blunt & uncooperative. we'll see what happens there.

chris, u r the second person to recommend image. they seem to have a good reputation. apparently they offer a really good discount if u order more than 1 set. the 1st person to recommend them also said they can make any design u want. ill check them out this week.

what exactly is involved in the manufacture of a set of rims, how is it done?

alex, i looked thru the other posts, but my problem has been around a specific set of wheels from taka kaira that fit my budget & specs. its just that they r not being very helpfull

thanks again

Setting up the CNC programme to do one set of wheels takes the same time as to do 100 sets, so if you order multiple sets it is far more cost efficient for the supplier. Their billet centres are machined from a piece of alloy plate, to their wide choice of patterns, or, if you like, to your own, if safe and practical. The rim halves are formed of alloy  spinnings, the outer having rolled edges for extra strength. Whilst not as light as a forged magnesium rim, they are probably stronger and a damned sight cheaper. They are doing some wheels for my RX-7 right now, and I should collect next week. I have had some BBS magnesium centre lock wheel centres on order for several months now, so Images  4 weeks seem damned good :-)