The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reasonable price to recon turbos

pistonbroke

Only thing I know is that John (dude) says that the car at 0.8 feels faster than hybrids at 1.4 :D

I've not heard back from the member who has had the work done. I'd rather leave it to him to post his experience with it, I wouldn't want to steal his thunder or state anything that's not correct.

As much as I get on with Dude I'm gonna wade in here :D

That statement is either misleading or a sign of imminent engine death. For an engine to be stronger at (significantly) lower boost, the turbo must be more efficient - which as we all know, singles over stockers are. So you've got colder, denser air being delivered, which is great and the whole point of doing it.

But, uh oh, no remapping of any sort? So the stock ECU sees 0.8bar and fuels for 0.8bar. On stock turbos. If hybrids at 1.4bar deliver 400bhp, you've got 280bhp's worth of fuel for 400bhp+ of air.

The you get the situation of the stock map sticking to 13:1 afrs below 4000rpm, which seriously compounds the issue. I mean, crikey, you have to pull some timing on T61's that are properly fuelled around the transition point at 0.8bar+ otherwise it pings away, so running lean? No thanks.

OK I may be wrong, I've never looked at a single'd-up stock mapped car. I'm going on my experience of mapping cars in various states of tune, from stockers to T71's. I'd really like to see an AFR-vs-Boost-vs-Revs chart of a single turbo's stock map car, and I don't mean the usual thrape from 4000rpm to redline at WOT, because that's probably the *only* place it stands a chance of fuelling correctly, aside from off-boost. no, I'd like to see part boost part throttle, especially below 4000rpm under load - if it lasts that long :)

May I remind people that single turbos on otherwise stock engines, injectors, and maps were the lure of Turbofit. Yeah, their fitting/mechanical abilities were just plain awful, which caused most of the problems, but still...

-Ian

I'm not clued up enough to comment on the details of the kit, so I'll wait until Dude see's this thread, or if anyone else is interested, I suggest they speak to him.

So, to get this thread back on topic, if anyone else knows of recon companies, post them up and I'll call them for a quote and post the results.

As much as I get on with Dude I'm gonna wade in here :D

That statement is either misleading or a sign of imminent engine death. For an engine to be stronger at (significantly) lower boost, the turbo must be more efficient - which as we all know, singles over stockers are. So you've got colder, denser air being delivered, which is great and the whole point of doing it.

But, uh oh, no remapping of any sort? So the stock ECU sees 0.8bar and fuels for 0.8bar. On stock turbos. If hybrids at 1.4bar deliver 400bhp, you've got 280bhp's worth of fuel for 400bhp+ of air.

The you get the situation of the stock map sticking to 13:1 afrs below 4000rpm, which seriously compounds the issue. I mean, crikey, you have to pull some timing on T61's that are properly fuelled around the transition point at 0.8bar+ otherwise it pings away, so running lean? No thanks.

OK I may be wrong, I've never looked at a single'd-up stock mapped car. I'm going on my experience of mapping cars in various states of tune, from stockers to T71's. I'd really like to see an AFR-vs-Boost-vs-Revs chart of a single turbo's stock map car, and I don't mean the usual thrape from 4000rpm to redline at WOT, because that's probably the *only* place it stands a chance of fuelling correctly, aside from off-boost. no, I'd like to see part boost part throttle, especially below 4000rpm under load - if it lasts that long :)

May I remind people that single turbos on otherwise stock engines, injectors, and maps were the lure of Turbofit. Yeah, their fitting/mechanical abilities were just plain awful, which caused most of the problems, but still...

-Ian

:thumbs:

If you are confident you could always buy the overhaul kit and the compressor/turbine wheel and shaft and rebuild it yourself.

The reconditioned housing will just mean its been cleaned, crack tested and has new journals.

Then all you will need to do is find someone to balance it for you.

Although fairly competent with a spanner, having looked at the instructions on how to remove the stock turbos, I'm a bit overwhelmed with what's required.

For piece of mind, I'd rather have it done by a professional.

• 1 month later...

Just read this thread , which turbo route did you go for in the end?

Although fairly competent with a spanner, having looked at the instructions on how to remove the stock turbos, I'm a bit overwhelmed with what's required.

For piece of mind, I'd rather have it done by a professional.

I've decided to go with Paul Whiffen Stage 1 hybrids. I'm currently waiting to get the funds or wait for my current tubbies to let go.

The recon ends up costing close to the price of hybrids from Paul, so it makes sense to just get some from someone who is a reputable trader who knows their supras.

That way I'll also be happy to know that they'll run 1.2 bar all day long, whereas stock turbos are on the threshold at that point.

I suppose it depends on what the rebuild entails. The J-spec turbo limits are down to the ceramic components weakness. If it's rebuilt with stronger steel parts then you should be good for the higher boost.

However, Mr Whiffen knows whats needed when it comes to refurbing the turbos, so his units should be the safest option. If you check his website, you'll see that there are several stage options for refurbing stock units available, so getting a set off him seems the sensible option.

Really I need Matt (muffleman) to jump in here, he can then comment on all the stuff Ian C has raised, all this talk of Solaris this AEM that I have yet to see too many standalone cars that I would be happy with, Matt gets them to run as i would like but the recent batch we have had in are a joke until someone sets the cold start etc,just ask Rob Wild. I know what Ive got and am more than happy to stick with that.

One last thing to think about, my old silver car ran 10's easily with an SAFC and an ITC, the only issues I ever had were with Denso Iridiums !!!!!! There are still 10 and 9 sec cars running these piggy backs in the states, the car with the budget kit was fueling well with no det and the customer only seems to have one speed......foot down.