The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slip n sliding in the wet .....

Jamesy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe i do have lsd then lol.

Anyway i drove home tonight with the trac cont on for the 1st time and it felt loads better :blink: i always turn it off so the lights on the dash, do most people have trac cont on in the wet?

Im thinking it may not be the dunlops as they're on the back and its more sliding from the fronts!!!

Gonna take it to dude tomora for a check up.

Tyre reviews

The Eagles are hard to get now, but browsing around the site gives loads of advice.

Hope it helps bud. :)

Thank u mate ;)

i have my trac on all the time. Wet, Dry, i only turn it off when i want to scream the tyres. :p

Because it wont loose grip if i floor it i dont see the need to take it off.

I hate driving with trac on usually. If you ever get the backend out it cuts all the power which is a nightmare.

However maybe i shoulf start using trac on when it rains?!!

As has been stated it's probably Geo issues or worn suspension components.

However, do not underestimate the effect of a decent tyre on these cars.

I have tried a few in the last 4 years; Kumho escta supra (didn't expect much), Continentals, Falken FK452, bridgestone potenza re05, Good year eagle F1 GSD3 and now the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asemetric. The difference is massive in the wet!

I know every car is different, but mine is a TT6 BPU with 19's and the Goodyear Eagle F1's (both types) are by far the best on mine.

Also I have found that having the same tyre on both the front and rear axles gives a much more predictable and balanced feel.

That is unless you want it to oversteer, then just put the worst tyres on the back. ;)

As has been stated it's probably Geo issues or worn suspension components.

However, do not underestimate the effect of a decent tyre on these cars.

I have tried a few in the last 4 years; Kumho escta supra (didn't expect much), Continentals, Falken FK452, bridgestone potenza re05, Good year eagle F1 GSD3 and now the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asemetric. The difference is massive in the wet!

I know every car is different, but mine is a TT6 BPU with 19's and the Goodyear Eagle F1's (both types) are by far the best on mine.

Also I have found that having the same tyre on both the front and rear axles gives a much more predictable and balanced feel.

That is unless you want it to oversteer, then just put the worst tyres on the back. ;)

thanx mate - so out of that whole list only the F1's are decent in the wet?

• 1 month later...

I dont think it would have helped me....

Update:

...my tyres carried 3 different brands, the fronts were Goodyear and Michelin and i found they had worn a lot.... i have now fitted Falken FK452's all round and the car gribs fantastic now.

Thanx for all the advice guys, feel much happier in it in the wet now :D :D

I would say either diesel, or the fact that its the first bit of rain we have had for a while and the oil and muck has been sitting in the dry road just waiting for a bit of rain to wash it away....oh and nice big fat tyre to give it a hand;)

Be careful i nearly totalled mine car last time it rained...not funny when it happens in an auto[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

Diesel spillage or auto kick-down. It's never anything else.

Or ice? ;)

What is all this about not having engine braking in an auto? You only have to knock it out of overdrive, or into 2nd, and there you go. Easy, and I use it all the time, and would defy anyone to think I wasn't driving a manual at times.

I've only ever had issues with handling in the wet with well worn tyres, so it must've been your tyre choice over anything else. Glad you've got it sorted. Oh, and go to Wheels in Motion to get your geometry set up properly :)

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

I dont think it would have helped me....

Update:

......... i have now fitted Falken FK452's all round and the car gribs fantastic now.

Thanx for all the advice guys, feel much happier in it in the wet now :D :D

I'm hoping for the same, just had 4 Falken FK452s delivered from Camskill's; 2 x 235/40ZR18 & 2 x 265/35ZR18 for £380 plus delivery.

The current Yokohama Advans are 10 years old and have loads of tread, but the car is skittish in the wet and the tyres sound like they are off roaders!:blink:

wont the rolling radius on 255/35/19s be totaly wrong? I just got some 35/18's which are the same as i already have and the rolling radius is a bit big. it needed to be 30/18 to be almost perfect but nobody makes that size. The speedo will be miles off on 35/19 wont it? mine is already off by 10mph at about 100. lol

To be honest Guisy im not really happy with my 19's anyway...they dont feel planted, but that could be my shite tyres as i previously mentioned. So i either get the new falken tyres on the alloys i have at 245 width .....or drop down to a 18 alloy which means i have to pay out over a grand for tyres and new alloys which at the moment with xmas i cant really afford. Just had to replace the front bumper because of a muppet mate decided he wanted a test drive...Big Mistake!!! Never let your friends drive your car!!!. I think for the time being ill stick to the falkens at 245/35/19's and hopefully get some new alloys and tyres in the new year. Thanks for the Link Jamesy

I thought I'd chip in with my none supra sliding stories.

This week I've found the Valver (Clio 1.8 16v) VERY lively in the wet, spinning in first, second, third if you abuse the clutch a little above 4k, plus it'll understeer at the drop of the hat and if you lift off like a fool in a corner the backend will happily bite your hand off. So, isn't a problem restricted to you 400+bhp guys, I get it in my little 140bhp hot hatch too ;)