The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Detailing help needed

EdMorris

I'll be very suprised if a clay bar will get rid of the overspray since dealing with this exact issue on another car a little while back, this car needed 3-4 hits with a wool pad to bring back to life after trying some of the most agressive clay bars out there, but who knows, it may look worse than it actually is so whoever works on it may get lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I had a go at this yesterday after putting it off for a while and finally having a free day.

Having not used a clay bar before, I was a little apprehensive about how to go at it and somewhat dubious about the results. Anyway, after following Stonkin's advice, I found it wasn't that difficult after all. However, even using plenty of the detail spray (about 2/3 of the bottle to do half the bonnet!), I did manage to mar the paint a little in some places with thin streaks from the clay. On these spots I went over with paint cleaner and even scratch x, which did improve it, but I think a machine polish will be needed to get it perfect.

The result isn't too bad though for a first attempt and I'm happy that the main crap came off with the clay. I just need to refine my technique I think. It does take ages though and I have new respect for those that are good at this sort of thing. Pics are not that great but show the difference its made.

Thanks again to all for advice.

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

get it done professionally , as i said in an earlier post , all your going to do is end up buying things like a polisher /clay / pads / compounds , i can go on , then your next question will be how the fxxx do i use them , and after all that sweat someones going to have to do it anyway , probably only cost a couple of hundred , tops and the car will be sorted .

you could spend a third or more of that on stuff which probably wont be the best and youll never use it again .

hope my posts not to blunt but i hate seeing peeps waste their hard earned

Hmm, I think I'm coming around to that way of thinking Peter. I'm gonna finish doing the worst areas myself with what I've already bought, so I don't have to look at it and have it bothering me. Then when I finally finish this damn project I'll get it done by someone who knows what they're doing, and just maintain the result.

Hmm, I think I'm coming around to that way of thinking Peter. I'm gonna finish doing the worst areas myself with what I've already bought, so I don't have to look at it and have it bothering me. Then when I finally finish this damn project I'll get it done by someone who knows what they're doing, and just maintain the result.
nice one , i think thats the best approach

Following on from my recent mistake of leaving my car at Enigmatec, it turns out they have f@@ked up my new repsray by parking it outside uncovered (although I gave them a proper cover to use). There is a bodyshop opposite and God only knows what kind of crap is now adoring my previously lovely paint (they also buggered my drivers door mirror which is in retract position although this has been forced as they're electric). Suffice to say, don't use these guys.

Anyway, I need some advice on cleaning/restoring the colour and in particular any products you guys recommend. I have washed it twice with meguires gold class shampoo, but I'm still left with a white mottled haze thats rough to the touch (see pics). I'm assuming some kind of paint cleaner is needed, but I'm new to this so any help is appreciated. I like Meguires stuff and use their gold class polish too, but I'm happy to try any product that will do the job.

Thanks guys.

My advice would be to ask Enigmatic what product they used on your car, then go back to your sprayer for him to check it out.

It may be a reaction of their polish with the clearcoat? You should leave at least a month between having the car sprayed and applying wax.

It may be the new paintwork itself that is faulty? All paints are now water-based and if they are not properly dried between coats it can suddenly go cloudy.

It is unlikely that leaving the car uncovered overnight would do any damage as long as the paint was properly cured.

It is unlikely to be overspray from the other paintshop as it would not be over the entire car (more likely only the side nearest the paintshop.

My recommendation would be do not go near it with a polisher! You may damage the clearcoat which should be perfect under the contamination. If it is not contamination then it is a paint issue.

I assume that you have paid big money for your new paint job so dont wreck it by cutting corners now. Your paint sprayer should be able to suss it out straight away.:yes:

My advice would be to ask Enigmatic what product they used on your car, then go back to your sprayer for him to check it out.

It may be a reaction of their polish with the clearcoat? You should leave at least a month between having the car sprayed and applying wax.

It may be the new paintwork itself that is faulty? All paints are now water-based and if they are not properly dried between coats it can suddenly go cloudy.

It is unlikely that leaving the car uncovered overnight would do any damage as long as the paint was properly cured.

It is unlikely to be overspray from the other paintshop as it would not be over the entire car (more likely only the side nearest the paintshop.

My recommendation would be do not go near it with a polisher! You may damage the clearcoat which should be perfect under the contamination. If it is not contamination then it is a paint issue.

I assume that you have paid big money for your new paint job so dont wreck it by cutting corners now. Your paint sprayer should be able to suss it out straight away.:yes:

Pretty sure its surface contamination as its been removed with use of a clay bar. I'll have a pro look over it when the car's ready to be driven.

All paints are now water-based :

Clear coats/lacquer's are not at the moment (at least in the refinishing trade)they are still 2K and although water based lacquer's are starting to be used in manufacturing,its not common in the refinishing trade due to costs etc,

If the colour coats had not dried properly and the lacquer was also water based, you would be looking at re spraying the whole car.

Clear coats/lacquer's are not at the moment (at least in the refinishing trade)they are still 2K and although water based lacquer's are starting to be used in manufacturing,its not common in the refinishing trade due to costs etc,

If the colour coats had not dried properly and the lacquer was also water based, you would be looking at re spraying the whole car.

Quite right. I have seen resprays that looked perfect suddenly go cloudy under the clearcoat.

Hopefully it is just contamination though you would wonder what a "professional" detailer could put on a new paint job that would react like that:blink: