The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running rich

Yaz

Right guys, i really need some help now. My supra j-spec n/a has been in the garage for a month, and it is still over fueling or running too rich. It all started like this:

I went away on holiday for 5 weeks and left the car on the drive. When I got back, as expected, there was no battery power, so got my mate with his jump leads to start the car and so it did. It drove perfectly fine after that for two weeks. The only thing I noticed was that it was drinking a little bit more than usual. Then one day, when I got back home and was about to reverse the car onto the drive, the car cut out totally and I thought it had stalled. It took me a few attempts to start it and as I managed to reverse it onto the drive, I noticed an eggy type smell. There was hardly any power and the car was struggling. There was black smoke pouring out the exhaust. The eggy smell then disappeared and turned into a strong smell of petrol. The engine management light had activated. So I called a mate of mine with the bug machine, but was unsuccessful in retrieving any codes. The car was stalling, poor/ rough idle, would not go above 3k rpm.

I took it to a garage nearby, and they said that the 1st cat needed replacing, as well as a rotar arm and dizzy cap. But they said they didn't know why it was over fueling.

I then used the paperclip method to get the codes, and although it didn't do anything, on one occasion I noted that it showed me Code 12, which relates to the Camshaft Position Sensor/ Crankshaft Position Sensor. On another occasion, it showed Code 21, which relates to the Oxygen Sensor.

I then took to another garage, where it has been since. The guys there took the first cat out and the engine management light went out and the car was running perfectly. So I collected the car and drove it home, and after the 15 minute journey, the same symptoms returned, so it's now back at the garage. A compression test has been done which was all ok, but the spark plugs have been replaced anyway. It has also had a new rotar arm, the idle speed control valve has been replaced. It idles ok now, but still struggling to go over 4k rpm and still running rich.

I am looking to replace the O2 Sensor now.

I'd love to get the car to Chris Wilson or Keron, but the car is in solihull and can't risk driving it. Can anyone please help me???

I know the garage have taken the O2 Sensor out and it was quite dirty, so gave it a really good clean and put it back in, and the problems continues. Is there a high chance that it is going to be the O2 Sensor, because either way it is going to get replaced. In the meantime, has anyone else got any other ideas what might be causing the over fueling? I know it could be alot of things, but any ideas will help...

By the way, I forgot to say that after returning from holiday where the car drove fine for two weeks, when the first problem occurred, upon checking the oil level, it appeared there was no oil in the engine whatsoever, so this was filled up immediately. Could it be that this may have damaged the pistons/ rings? And would this be causing the problem? Although, bearing in mind the car ran fine after the de-cat. So all this doesn't make sense. When it was de-cat, the engine management light no longer remained on constantly, and the car ran beautifully for that period of 15 minutes. Then back to the problems.

Right then folks, I didn't know the car had two O2 Sensors, the first one is all ok, the second was covered with loads of dirt, probably because of the clogged cat which has since been reomved. The garage chap cleaned the sensor, put it back, started the car and hooray the engine management went out and the car was running fine. The ecu was reset and I picked my car up. However, 30 minutes of driving, and the light has come back on with the same symptoms... Now would anyone agree with me that the O2 Sensor(s) need replacing full stop?

Right then folks, I didn't know the car had two O2 Sensors, the first one is all ok, the second was covered with loads of dirt, probably because of the clogged cat which has since been reomved. The garage chap cleaned the sensor, put it back, started the car and hooray the engine management went out and the car was running fine. The ecu was reset and I picked my car up. However, 30 minutes of driving, and the light has come back on with the same symptoms... Now would anyone agree with me that the O2 Sensor(s) need replacing full stop?

I would replace them, every 60K miles it is good practice to replace them

They arent too expensive either, better rule these out first as the problem

Have you checked the sensors with a multi meter? Standard practice really but you haven't said, if you get a multimeter and put the probes on the pins for the 2 black wires and check the reading, usually if they're shot they'll read open circuit! Post up the readings if not will be able to tell you if there out :)

Right, the garage guy has ordered two O2 Sensors from Keron, hopefully they will arrive quickly...

is it perkins or someone? i gave him some advise over the phone and apparently its done the job. didnt sell him any 02 sensors in the end. apparently its sorted now?? :)