The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rubber doughnut, diff bushes & mystery prize

TTRickeh

If I push down on the upper arm there's a gap between nut and hub. It's a similar situation for the lower arms.

[ATTACH]100389[/ATTACH]

Is it supposed to be like that? Is the nut supposed to be able to go further up the thread? I'm sure the old nuts did.

Thanks for helping.

I found cleaning up the threads on the ball joint and the nut before hand helped stop this using a tap and a dye. Then when installing the ball joint in the hub give it a nice big whack with a soft mallet to hold it in better.

Mike

I see what you mean Chris. I'll leave it the way Toyota intended :) I originally had a brief attempt at pressing down on the ball joint so I could stop the thread turning but was only doing it with my hand. I ended up with that dodgy sticky black plastic stuff they put over the ball joint all over my hands and not much progress tightening it. I'll need to find a better way of putting pressure onto it. I'll persevere.

I had my first forray into tapping and dying today after I somehow managed to mong up the thread on one of the two further forward diff bolt holes. A visit to Halfords and a tap and die set later I managed to sort it. For reference those two big bolts are M12 1.25 pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Handbrake assemblies back on (not a particularly enjoyable job...very fiddly). Gave the brake calipers a wee paint. I started off with Hammerite by brush but quickly realised it looked crap and uneven so just left one coat of that on followed by plenty of coats of Hammerite spray.

I still need to fit the new pads. I tried to push the pistons back in but the paint was still soft from the day before so it's smudged a bit, even after I put a folded up kitchen towel between the clamp and the caliper, so I will have to leave it for now, give that caliper one more coat to cover up the smudge, leave it for a few more days, then try again.

I started her up for the first time in about 5 months the other day. Understandably the battery was flat so I used the spare Optima i've got. It started up fine and tbh it was quite an emotional moment hearing her again :D One of the guys working on my neighbours roof said 'Nice car. Is it a Celica?' I guess he meant well :)

I put the exhaust back on for starting her up but noticed it was leaking at the joints so i've ordered a few more gaskets as I tried using just Firegum to seal. I've also managed to source a stock 2nd cat for my MOT so i'm pretty chuffed about that.

Aside from the brake pads and exhaust pretty much everything else is back on :)

Couple of pics...

16102009517.jpg

I've got some Supra decals to put on so the caliper wont be staying blank. I got them on eBay from a guy called Ubernine, I chose to get the word 'Supra' in silver with the line underneath it in black. Hopefully it will look alright.

07112009541.jpg

This is one of my wheels after polishing and sealing. I'm pretty pleased with the results :)

19102009524.jpg

That's it for now. I will probably post up with plenty more smiley faces once i'm finished and I'll get a few pics up with my new wheels on soon for anyone that's interested.

Got everything together and went for a quick test drive today :) First time i've driven it in 5 months. Happy times.

Just need to borrow a mates work ramp so I can fit the 2nd cat then book in for its MOT then will get the alignment done after it's had a week to settle in.