The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres and apologies

spartan

I decided upon the Continental Sport Contact 3 because they were available locally. The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 seems a bit harder to get hold of but nobody told me they'd gone out of production yet.

As mentioned before, I also got these tyres at (what I considered to be) a great price - just over £100 a tyre, fully fitted. It's worth shopping around as it seems to me, you can more or less pay what you want for any brand of tyre (the range in prices is totally ridiculous = up to £100 more in some cases)!

N.B. That price was for the OEM rear wheel size = 255/40/17. The tyre fitter commented that the wheel width looked as if it could easily accommodate a tyre "a couple of sizes bigger", i.e., 275 (although there would be a 2.5% reduction in speedo. reading on the 40 profile). I'd noticed before that the sidewall on the front tyres seems to be a lot more vertical than that on the rears, to the extent that I don't think the rim protector would be very effective on the rear. Has anybody any experience of fitting a slightly wider tyre to the stock rears (without rubbing/rolling the arches)?

Anyway, initial impressions of the tyre are very good and were immediately demonstrated on the road: on the way to have the tyres fitted, the roads were slightly damp/greasy and the car fishtailed coming out of a roundabout at about 25/30 mph - this is my typical experience on my old tyres (Falken Ziex ZE-512 - not bald just worn on the inner edges); on the way back, on the new tyres, the car felt totally planted.

It's early days but these new tyres might mean I have to relearn how to drive my Supra! I'll let you know ...

Well you've already decided but another recommendation for the Falken 452's here. The more I push them (intentionally trying to get the back end out a little :innocent:) the more convinced I am that I rate them better than the Goodyear GS-D3's.

Interesting! They do seem to get very good reviews (similar tread pattern to the GS-D3s too) and they appear to be just about the only brand that has tyres in the previously suggested "oversize" for the stock rears (265/40/17 or 275/40/17). Will definitely bear those in mind if I don't get on with the Conti. SC3s.

Still early days but I'm really loving these new tyres - the car is transformed! Traction, cornering, braking, comfort, noise (I can hear my exhaust better!) all improved. :cool:

Judging by my other thread, it does seem that very few people have tried these yet on the Supra (and I'm talking Conti. Sport Contact 3 here, not the earlier versions).