The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine runs while cranking but then dies

Shane

First , it sounds like your starter motor is wearing (probably where you've been trying to start it excessively recently with this problem). You're not the first to have starter issues on the supra, so don't worry to much about it, a new starter will cure the issue.

What alram system do you have. If you have a model that has a key mechanism on the alarm unit itself, where you actually insert a key and turn it to disable it completely, then this is certainly worth a try. Failing that, find out where the 'brain' part of the alarm system is and basically disconnect it. See where you stand then.

At least you know it's the fuel pump is not running for whatever reason, but the fuel pump itself works when fed a live, so it narrows it down alot.

Thanks. Yes it's looking more andmore like at the very least I now need to eliminate the immobiliser from the equation. It's one of these: http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/avital-maxx-alarm-immobilliser-includes-installation-p-301.html

Had it fitted in Jan 06 when I bought the car, tried contacting the installer but looks like he is no longer in business.

Anyhow, will wait to see what Ryan suggests before I rip it out, I know where it is and I will have to remove most of the dash, but have done this before on several occasions so that is not so daunting at least.

Reason I thought perhaps the starter prob may be connected is that I have come across cars where various feeds originate or are routed via the solenoid, my old Range Rover springs to mind, but there again this was a different generation of car electrics, I doubt if cars use resistive wire nowadays to get the correct voltages to other parts of the car!:blink: So it's good to have it confirmed that this is not the case with the Supra and that it's a common problem.

Edited by Shane
cant spell (see edit history)

If the engine light was coming on, I wouldn't be looking at the alarm system, I'd be thinking it was the inertia switch for the fuel pump. But because the EML light is not coming on, it makes me think it's something to do with the alarm. If it's like mine, the engine light doesn't come on until I de-immobilise the car with the alarm fob. But becasue yours is not doing it, I'm pretty sure it's the alarm.

Good luck with it mate.

If the engine light was coming on, I wouldn't be looking at the alarm system, I'd be thinking it was the inertia switch for the fuel pump. But because the EML light is not coming on, it makes me think it's something to do with the alarm. If it's like mine, the engine light doesn't come on until I de-immobilise the car with the alarm fob. But becasue yours is not doing it, I'm pretty sure it's the alarm.

Good luck with it mate.

Yes I reckon you are right and yes that's exactly how mine works too. In normal operation, when I de-immobilise the Battery light and the EML light both come on, at the moment just the battery light is. Now I have to eliminate the alarm I think as a next step. Will be interesting to see what Ryan G suggests too.

Yes I reckon you are right and yes that's exactly how mine works too. In normal operation, when I de-immobilise the Battery light and the EML light both come on, at the moment just the battery light is. Now I have to eliminate the alarm I think as a next step. Will be interesting to see what Ryan G suggests too.

Sorry for the late reply!

Ok the Engine management light is switched on when the ecu is first powered up for 5 seconds.

The pin from the ecu which drives the EML is the W labelled pin in the pinouts sheet. The pins which turns the fuel pump on is the FPC. You could check continuty on both if you wanted to their sources but it does sound like an alarm issue for sure.

Which brand of alarm is it?

Ryan

Sorry for the late reply!

Ok the Engine management light is switched on when the ecu is first powered up for 5 seconds.

The pin from the ecu which drives the EML is the W labelled pin in the pinouts sheet. The pins which turns the fuel pump on is the FPC. You could check continuty on both if you wanted to their sources but it does sound like an alarm issue for sure.

Which brand of alarm is it?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this.

Well, I have spent hours stripping it all down and have the dash out as well as both kick panels and I feel depressed looking at it! But, I have now isolated the alarm and am confident it's not that. It's an Avvital Maxx1. It a appears to isolate cranking and ignition when active. Both of these functions have been done at the ignition switch, ignition by breaking into the Black/Orange wire and cranking by breaking into the thick White wire. When deactivated the alarm restores 12v to both away legs. It doesn't appear to have any other forms immobilising, well in fact I am sure it doesn't. Am getting desperate now and completely out of ideas so any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Is there a live on the pin that ryan pointed out that powers the EML light?

Is there anyone local with an ECU you can quickly swap over?

Nope, checked it today and nothing.

No don't really know anyone around here with one I could try, but guess there must be a few around going fro grabs from where people have gone TT. Will have a look on fleabay and classified. I have an auto electrician booked for Wednesday, be interesting to see what he finds. Getting really anxious to resolve this now.

Just had a call from the Auto Electrician who has been looking at this problem saying that he is sure the ECU is at fault. Cost me £35 for call out and he didn't charge me for his time as he couldn't tell me 100% what the problem was. Arrgghhh!!!