The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LED Flasher relay

Jellybean

cutting into looms with big expensive load resistors to 'fool' flasher units into thinking there is a load there or replacing the flasher unit with a unit thats a direct replacement designed to work with LED's, I know which I'd choose for less messing about.

I appreciate you haven't but in your hypothetical situation, how did you swap in the LEDs in place of the normal filament bulbs normally on the end of those looms you mention, without cutting into the looms?

Well, whilst you're there...

I appreciate you haven't but in your hypothetical situation, how did you swap in the LEDs in place of the normal filament bulbs normally on the end of those looms you mention, without cutting into the looms?

Well, whilst you're there...

I'd find a replacement LED that fitted into the indicator then put an appropriate flasher unit relay in-place of the standard unit. That way the indicators would flash properly and in the event I lost an LED at some point I could replace the LED with a filament bulb from a filling station without having to pull a load resistor out of the loom.

I'm not saying load resistors wont work, I'm just saying a flasher unit that works with a lower load is easier and a better solution.

I'd find a replacement LED that fitted into the indicator then put an appropriate flasher unit relay in-place of the standard unit. That way the indicators would flash properly and in the event I lost an LED at some point I could replace the LED with a filament bulb from a filling station without having to pull a load resistor out of the loom.

I'm not saying load resistors wont work, I'm just saying a flasher unit that works with a lower load is easier and a better solution.

I'm not convinced you can find an LED replacement that will just slot into the stock bulb holder. If you can't, you have to modify something (bulb holoder and/or loom) anyway, so the option to replace a but LED with a filament bulb has also been lost.

Putting a resistor inline with the loom, to work with an LED setup, would be a one-off job.

If finding a suitible replacement relay was so easy, why is this thread already 2 pages long and counting.

We could go on forever: you say tomato...

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

I'm not convinced you can find an LED replacement that will just slot into the stock bulb holder. If you can't, you have to modify something (bulb holoder and/or loom) anyway, so the option to replace a but LED with a filament bulb has also been lost.

Putting a resistor inline with the loom, to work with an LED setup, would be a one-off job.

If finding a suitible replacement relay was so easy, why is this thread already 2 pages long and counting.

We could go on forever: you say tomato...

I think you can find LED direct replacements for most lamp fitments now, but I see where your coming from in that respect, espcially if you use a home made array. I just don't like the idea of using big load resistors for something like this when there's is such an easy way of doing without cutting things.

I think this thread has gone on for so long because people misundertood what clodola was asking for:)