The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best way to drive re "economy"....?

Jamesy

This is the issue here... we haven't got anything concrete. We need someone that knows this stuff to pass on the knowledge.

It's odd that there aren't most sites dedicated to this issue.

I don't really care TBH. I go weeks and hundreds of miles between visits to the fuel station. My idea of a cost-saving drive is finding a free parking space.:D

Edited by RedM (see edit history)

Driving slower is not necessarily more fuel-economical. Manufacturers often say at what speed and in what gear the engine is most efficient: for a petrol car this is usually around 2500rpm in top gear..

Don't stick it in sixth at 30mph. I think I once read that stuff like that means that fuel gets chucked into the engine in ordeer to prevent stalling.

Thats exactly the question i was intending to raise guys...

...basically driving slow and keeping the revs VERY low.....i was thinking maybe that actually causes the car to use MORE fuel ...

Ideally you want to keep the engine speed low (lower friction) in the highest gear possible for the speed without lugging the engine down too much.

In my diesel focus it will pull from 1000rpm but I only accelerate slowly while watching the fuel economy readout. I try to accelerate at above 40mpg if there's nobody behind me. Typically I change up at around 1500rpm which drops the revs in the next gear into the 1000 range.

Accelerate slowly

Anticipate slowing down and come off the throttle well before you have to slow down allowing the engine to brake the car (uses no fuel at all).

Anticipate traffic lights so you reach a red light just as its turning green and the traffic that was stopped has accelerated to your speed when you reach it

Don't brake unless you need to (brakes are just energy wasters), so this means keep your cornering speeds up.

Once you reach a speed (around 50 is best for most cars) then stay at that speed and don't move the throttle. i.e. No accelerating and decelerating.

When coming up to a hill keep the accelerator pedal in the same position and let the speed drop off, then as you reach the top and go down hill allow it to accelerate to your chosen speed then come right off the pedal.

Accelerate downhill, not up hill.... if you need to accelerate!

Keep tyre pressures high. I run mine at 50 psi

Drafting behind trucks too close is dangerous! But there is a good benefit to be had at the legal 2 second gap too.

Some hypermilers use EOC (Enginr Off Coasting). This is illegal and removes the power steering and braking. Not at all advisable!

Coasting out of gear is not as bad as EOC but still not legal.

See the ecomodder website for more info.

Ideally you want to keep the engine speed low (lower friction) in the highest gear possible for the speed without lugging the engine down too much.

In my diesel focus it will pull from 1000rpm but I only accelerate slowly while watching the fuel economy readout. I try to accelerate at above 40mpg if there's nobody behind me. Typically I change up at around 1500rpm which drops the revs in the next gear into the 1000 range.

Accelerate slowly

Anticipate slowing down and come off the throttle well before you have to slow down allowing the engine to brake the car (uses no fuel at all).

Anticipate traffic lights so you reach a red light just as its turning green and the traffic that was stopped has accelerated to your speed when you reach it

Don't brake unless you need to (brakes are just energy wasters), so this means keep your cornering speeds up.

Once you reach a speed (around 50 is best for most cars) then stay at that speed and don't move the throttle. i.e. No accelerating and decelerating.

When coming up to a hill keep the accelerator pedal in the same position and let the speed drop off, then as you reach the top and go down hill allow it to accelerate to your chosen speed then come right off the pedal.

Accelerate downhill, not up hill.... if you need to accelerate!

Keep tyre pressures high. I run mine at 50 psi

Drafting behind trucks too close is dangerous! But there is a good benefit to be had at the legal 2 second gap too.

Some hypermilers use EOC (Enginr Off Coasting). This is illegal and removes the power steering and braking. Not at all advisable!

Coasting out of gear is not as bad as EOC but still not legal.

See the ecomodder website for more info.

thanx mate

But... 50 PSi :blink: what size rims is that on?

do you know what PSi my 18's should be pls?

That's my Focus mate, and the handling does deteriorate a bit, plus the suspension is now hard!

50 is the max tyre sidewall pressure rating. There's an increased risk of punctures, hopwever tyre wear is reduced!

I wouldn't recommend it in a Supe at all! Stick to the manufacturer recommended maximum pressures only.