The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Sprucing" up the dashboard....

Jamesy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest willismaximus

I've just pulled the existing gear surround off to practice on as I plan on doing this properly soon once I get hold of a replacement Manual gear surround (Previous owner snapped all but two of the clips that hold it down :( found out when i had the alarm fitted and the guy couldn't lift it because it had been superglued in place!!!!)

How do you remove the leather gator without ripping it?

I've just pulled the existing gear surround off to practice on as I plan on doing this properly soon once I get hold of a replacement Manual gear surround (Previous owner snapped all but two of the clips that hold it down :( found out when i had the alarm fitted and the guy couldn't lift it because it had been superglued in place!!!!)

How do you remove the leather gator without ripping it?

You have to remove the plastic welds underneath, If its bee super glued then someone has been there before.

Looks like it from the pic, if you look carefully the dials stand proud, but the pic cuts short before the 3 little rings come into view. Also i noticed the SNOW light was on which is on my facelift and wasn't on my prefacelift. ;)

Also you can see the panels are really smooth whereas the rubber coated ones you can see the difference :innocent:

Ow yeah also the facelift clock!!

Just to let people know that the facelift dash panels don't have that crappy rubber coating on, which makes this process a hell of a lot easier ;):D

oooh really? result.

i would love to try this myself but honestly i am so cr@p at this kinda stuff i know i'd screw it up majorly...

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Im not trying to do dave out of work. To be honest mate if your not sure/not confident to do this yourself, someone like dave (supraloopy) is the way forward. A proper professional job, cant go wrong:D

You are not. I sent a PM quoting for a pre facelift dash. If there is little prep to do then have a go yourself.;)

It all comes apart pretty easy start with the top panel and work out from that. I have started doing the same thing and i have to tell you the rubber stuff that coats the panels is a b**ch to get off

Think that 'rubber stuff' was only on pre-facelifts and Jamesy's car is a facelift which has panels with a different finish which if I am correct easier to paint over.

Edited by Tee from China (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

mate its really easy a few screws and just clips that pop out this is my dash...im not clued up at all on supras but even i managed lol... i did it the same colour as the car and added a steering wheel. :) also i bought chrome rings of e-bay for £50 to go around the vents and speedo etc good luck with it and hope i helped.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6015/14072009268.th.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9508/14072009269.th.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6162/14072009270.th.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5769/14072009272.th.jpg