The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Media Streamers

garetheves

upnp and dnla is a little hit and miss at the moment. If it works then superb, but I've found it sometimes struggle with certain formats.

The most stable upnp server I've found is twonkyvision. If you are after a simple streamer with a nice but simple gui, a philips streamium sl300i is a good unit, I had two of them for a few years but eventually upgraded due to lack of HD support.

Yes your PS3 will do the Job perfectly fine.

You have 2 choices really to use windows media player to share the media or tveristy.

I use Media Player on my PC for the movies/shows anyway so that isnt a problem. Guess ill have a look in to these as well. Anyone else used the setup apart from the ones above :)

I use Media Player on my PC for the movies/shows anyway so that isnt a problem. Guess ill have a look in to these as well. Anyone else used the setup apart from the ones above :)

Just set the sharing tab in Media Player to include your console (both of mine try to connect automatically) - you need to allow them access in your FW and in the sharing tab of Media Player :)

I take it you have a wireless network?

Ok, ive been looking into using my PS3 a bit more and it certainly seems like this is the best/cheapest option for me. Does anyone have compatability problems with this setup though. Almost everything i watch on my PC is DIVX .avi. Do these formats work on the PS3?

It'll struggle with HD, but seeing as you're not playing that, it doesn't matter. You can get an orignal XBox for around £40-50 and the XBMC distribution is free.

Seconded, I run 2 xboxes and have just built two for friends (soft-modded)

They were 27 quid all-in from ebay, including the all-so-important optional DVD remote.

I was never impressed by the 360 with xp/vista media centre, HOWEVER with all the noise about it recently, I've dug mine out the loft (yes I have a 360 and I don't play it), and I will pair it up with a few upnp servers and post up my results. I'm going to be comparing it against my main HTPC unit as well as one of my secondary systems (AMD 64 fx2 with an old radeon card, so it is low spec as far as HTPC goes)....

Will post up results..