The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Workshop skimmed my discs to 13mm!!

dani_r

If money's tight, and hell, it is for most of us these days, i would be fairly confident of running your skimmed discs in a modest manner for a while. just don't push things beyond normal gentle road usage. I would again say that it's your call though. I'd also suggest you look at pads and calipers for those discs, as they haven't had even pressure for some reason, or the car's had some long period of inactivity to allow the discs to rust very badly.

I'd also suggest you look at pads and calipers for those discs, as they haven't had even pressure for some reason, or the car's had some long period of inactivity to allow the discs to rust very badly.

Do you mean my current calipers I have now? I suspect one of my sliding pins is seized, I have ordered the necessary bits for a refurb, just waiting for toyota to call me. Could that be why my rear discs are making a noise and haven't bedded straight?

I should still have plenty of excellent used Jap spec fronts, No UK discs though, and i don't think I have any good used rear Jap spec discs. I have new Jap spec discs, front and rear, on the shelf.

If you get a chance can you PM me a price on new rears delivered?

Cheers :)

D

I've had this with a local engineering firm, the first time I blamed myself for not stipulating a minimum thickness, so I went back with the front discs. all clearly marked L and R and with locating marks matching the hub, and the f****r cleaned them all off, telling me "run-out doesn't matter on modern cars"

I spent several hours then resetting the discs up, and will never use him again.

I recently replaced my front and rear discs, pads, and I rebuilt the calipers. I was quite shocked to discover that the old discs were a good few mm below the minimum thickness in the Toyota spec - so much so, that on the inside faces of the rear discs (I recall they were 12mm thick), the metal in places was like tin foil and you could see into the vented part of the discs! And the people responsible for turning the discs down to this out-of-spec thickness (whilst with the previous owner) was... a main Toyota dealer!

The above said, the car still stopped reasonably well and the pistons never fell out (probably cause some were seized!), but needless to say, the transformation in braking with the overhaul and new parts was quite dramatic.