The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Data recovery

CJ

sorry, have you tried spinrite?

I have just looked at this and obtained a copy. Does anyone know if this is the type of thing a numpty like me should try or is it better being left to the pro-fresh-nials?

Well sorry for jumping into the thread so late. but its possibly the most effeciant hard drive recovery software there is. Made by a guy call Steve Gibson who is a security nd data guru. anyway, you can pick it up at grc.com or its possible to find it elsewhere ;) and if it works go pick get yourself a copy. I use in my IT role at the NHS for when nothing else works. If there is a chance your drive can be read again with out mechanical repair spinrite will fix it. sorry for the delay in response.

Well sorry for jumping into the thread so late. but its possibly the most effeciant hard drive recovery software there is. Made by a guy call Steve Gibson who is a security nd data guru. anyway, you can pick it up at grc.com or its possible to find it elsewhere ;) and if it works go pick get yourself a copy. I use in my IT role at the NHS for when nothing else works. If there is a chance your drive can be read again with out mechanical repair spinrite will fix it. sorry for the delay in response.

As I said above, I have now obtained a copy. Is it relatively easy to use or should i get someone with more technical knowledge to look at it?

sorry because it took me so long to respond i missed that extra bit. Quick run down on how to work spinrite.

-Obtain a copy.. Use a working computer to burn spinrite to a CD.

-Make sure the Hard disk you want it to scan is in the machine you want to use to fix it(It wont work via USB(i dont think))

-Put the CD in, boot up the computer using the CD. spin rite will take over and guide you through what to do next.

-If spin rite can't see your drive, then your talking mechanical fault. If spin can see it, you should be in luck for at least some data recovery.

-My advice go for a level 4 scan. It may take 12Hours+ but let it do its thing.

Any questions just ask.

p.s. For more about the guy who wrote the software go to his site. loads of handy securty information and some handy free software. or check out his security podcast at http://twit.tv/sn (Carefull its very geeky in there)

sorry because it took me so long to respond i missed that extra bit. Quick run down on how to work spinrite.

-Obtain a copy.. Use a working computer to burn spinrite to a CD.

-Make sure the Hard disk you want it to scan is in the machine you want to use to fix it(It wont work via USB(i dont think))

-Put the CD in, boot up the computer using the CD. spin rite will take over and guide you through what to do next.

-If spin rite can't see your drive, then your talking mechanical fault. If spin can see it, you should be in luck for at least some data recovery.

-My advice go for a level 4 scan. It may take 12Hours+ but let it do its thing.

Any questions just ask.

p.s. For more about the guy who wrote the software go to his site. loads of handy securty information and some handy free software. or check out his security podcast at http://twit.tv/sn (Carefull its very geeky in there)

Ah buggernuts.

I think i may have a problem then as my external HD is the one with the data on and the only way to connect that to my PC is via a usb. :(

Well give it a go fist then. if not, take the hard disk out the case, with any luck it will be a Standard drive that you can just plonk into a machine, or it maybe one of the smaller form factors in which case you may need to swap the drive out of a laptop. i found this on his site.

"Is SpinRite compatible with USB and Firewire devices?

The best answer to this is a firm "maybe". DOS device drivers are available for most USB and Firewire controllers. If such drivers are added to a DOS boot diskette so that your USB or Firewire drive is "seen" by DOS, SpinRite will also be able to "see" and operate with it. However, the performance of the drive through the DOS drivers and the serial (USB/Firewire) cable will likely be far lower than if the external drive were connected directly to a PC's motherboard controller. If you have the ability to temporarily relocate the IDE drive inside of the external enclosure to a PC— plugging it directly into the motherboard's controller — SpinRite will be able to operate at the drive's highest possible performance."

lol, good luck. You can make a boot CD too, if you have any of those lying around. Even a boot USB stick, but that can get complicated.

I thought of creating a boot CD but the instructions were a bit vague. I saved the ISO file to my desktop but when i unwrapped it, it just gave me the same file as the original spinrite.exe file.

Back to having another look methinks!

Ahh, if you have not used an iso file before it can seem confusing. Its not so hard but only if you have the software to burn it. .ISO is an image of a whole CD. You would need to use something like NERO burning program or use something like http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php to burn the iso file onto disc. Just open up the program and then there is an option within the burning software to open .iso file.

Or just find a floppy disc :p

Spinright is fecking great.......when the drive is recognized in the bios :(

As in, unlike my situation whereby the PC doesn't see the external drive "G"? :(

Not necessarily CJ. From your last post, it would seem that the drive isn't "seen" by Windows, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be seen by the BIOS. I've never heard of spinrite, but it sounds like it's worth a go.

Not necessarily CJ. From your last post, it would seem that the drive isn't "seen" by Windows, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be seen by the BIOS. I've never heard of spinrite, but it sounds like it's worth a go.

Ooh...getting excited now. Time to source a floppy - so to speak! :D