The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Offering CF dash overlays.

supramemole

thats how i feel.. I plan on keeping my supra for a very very long time. here is hard to come by and we just cant import them. Also im not a big operation meaning i do this in the garage on nights and weekends..mainly weekends because of my day job.. with that being said i dont buy the CF in bulk... i mean i have bought 30 yards at a time...i am actually working on an entire interior for a friends car, he shows it very WILD, not a supra, but even 30 yards isnt considered bulk, if i were to buy 100 plus yards the pricing for the that would be alot cheaper.. thus passing on the savings. i can pm the mods and maybe offer a group buy thing... but it would have to be 10 or more to get the better pricing from where i buy my CF from. maybe that would be better option...ill look into that and pm Homer and ask him. Im all about helping the supra family out here and over the pond. I know i cant afford "buying" already made parts and understand the difficulties of paying for nice items. Im there myself, thats why i try to offer good pricing on the few items i make. i guess i will look into the minium amounts i can buy to get a better rate and thus saving everyone money in the long run. I am by far not trying to "rip" anyone off or try to make a million dollars doing this sort of work, i have a regular day job for that...lol.. I really enjoy making something and sharing it and its nice to know there are some parts out there accross the world that i have made in my little garage and not some big company pumping out inferior products that dont fit or look pretty crappy. I ll keep this thread updated if i can work something out with the material costs..meaning bulk rates..Ill call tomorrow and see whats up and ill PM Homer ti see about a group buy if possable. again thanks for the support and just letting everyone know I will be working on the cost thing. I would love to offer this for 300ish, there is alot of value at the 500 price but 300ish would bebetter...[COOL][/COOL] that will be the number i will shoot for.. again ill keep everyone updated. thanks again

Chris

As an initial cost it looks pricey, but in the long term it would pay you back as it wouldnt need re-doing down the line as Chris points out.

If you're only going to keep your Supra for a short while it may not appeal as a stick on kit would no doubt last the duration of your ownership, but if you see yourself keeping it for a good while and you like bling dashes its not a bad investment.

Having been in the composites game, I know how much labour would be required to produce a mint bling CF product.

this is the process...

remove all the gumming black stuff off the pieces. then sand the pieces down with 180 grit sandpaper. it gives the resins and CF something to adhere to. then paint the pieces black. lay the carbon fiber over the pieces...make sure its over the edges about 3 inchs...to help lay over them and not peel back up. one coat of resin... let dry... second coat of resin... let dry, cut trim anything that needs to be made.. holes stuff like that. now put another coat of resin to smooth out the areas where you cut..to fill in the gap around the egdes so the material is flush. after that.. i sand down the entire piece, to smooth out any resin deformatities.., meaning the weave of the cf will show threw the resin somewhat, without sanding it smooth once you clear it will have little humps where the weaves are, if that make sense. then clear the piece 3 times with a high solids clear, very thick, one coat of this equals 2 coats of basic clear. meaning MIL thickness.. to give you an idea on mil thickness, in case some poeple arent sure about it where as some do know about it.. the cigrette clear plastic paper around a pack or smokes is about 1 MIL thick. a paint job has anywhere from 7 to 12 mils total. not very much protection for our wonderful cars but thats about where its at..some more some less...well one coat of the basic clear is about 3 mils thick, thats why you would put two coats of clear on a panel after base giving you the desired mil thickness you want.

this clear or a high solids clear your running one coat of clear equals two coats of basic standard clear... thus instead of 3 mils per coat your at 6 mils per.. thus is you have seen a car cleared with a high solids clear you will notice that there is ALOT of depth and very deep in color, and its easy to get out scratches or whatever because you have that extra mils of clear you can wetsand into and buff. well after all is sanded i clear these pieces with 3 coats of the high solids clear.. giving it that deep look.. and alot of depth that really brings out the CF weave. high solids clear equals more money per gallon.. basic clear runs about 80 bucks for a gallon kit. ( at least over here) where as the High solids clear runs just under 400 a gallon kit... i hope that better explains the process of how i do it and some of the cost involved.

thanks again

Chris

That is stunning, a million miles away from the cheap Ebay crap.

If the exchange rate wasn't on it's @rse just now I'd imagine your' PM box would be pretty busy right about now.

Your workmanship looks top notch and although I'm very happy with my painted dash, I'd certainly be interested in any other interior bits and bobs you could muster up :)

thanks a bunch. these are a set i bought you guys here. My original panles in the car are all painted black.. same process as about but no cf and added primer to the list..LOL.. thanks again.. I know things arent great for the world right now.. but im going to try to talk to the poeple i get my cf and resin from and see if they can drop the price per yard.. i know anything can help out right? thanks again

Chris

Looks good chris i have the sitck on kit which came from USA too,although it was only £150 what makes this worth the extra.

It looks a 1000 times better, the stick on stuff looks cheap and tacky

looks nice but for 80 quid you can get something almost the same

Yeah right..........

is this or is this not basically a stick on carbon fibre ??

No, this is actually coated in carbon fibre, like virtually every carbon fibre bonnet is a fibreglass bonnet that has been carbon fibre coated.

Anyway, I think thats a really good price and will certainly be coming your way as soon as I have some disposable income back.