The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GTE Water Flow and Pipework

Wez

With this in mind do you think its ok to block these off rather than add a pipe to the return, surely adding a pipe without a restriction would increase flow away from the head as it would become the path of less resistance.

If I understand it correctly, when the exit pipe is blocked the coolent can only flow through the head instead of around it.

just had a quick look at my spare head in the garage and the heater connection is as far back on the head as it could possibly be, it would appear to me it has nothing to do with the cooling circuit, there is however a slight contradiction the drawing you posted indicates permanent flow with the engine running but it also has a valve in the line as well, you could maybe have a look at this valve (i presume its off your car) and see if it does indeed close 100%, i suspect it doesn't due to, say a nice warm day (rare i know) and you have the engine up to normal operating temp and have the air con on full knacker, you then decide your to cold so whack the heating on full blast this would then deposit a slug of cold water into the system with all the problems that could entail, i would think this is the reason Mr T has permanent flow rather than anything to do with cooling

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just had a quick look at my spare head in the garage and the heater connection is as far back on the head as it could possibly be, it would appear to me it has nothing to do with the cooling circuit, there is however a slight contradiction the drawing you posted indicates permanent flow with the engine running but it also has a valve in the line as well, you could maybe have a look at this valve (i presume its off your car) and see if it does indeed close 100%, i suspect it doesn't due to, say a nice warm day (rare i know) and you have the engine up to normal operating temp and have the air con on full knacker, you then decide your to cold so whack the heating on full blast this would then deposit a slug of cold water into the system with all the problems that could entail, i would think this is the reason Mr T has permanent flow rather than anything to do with cooling

I'll check that in the morning, I've got my old matrix in the shed, and I know precisely where that valve is. Would be an interesting. :thumbs:

I suspect that Paul might be correct in that the heater valve doesn't close completely, but I still don't think that blocking off the pipes will do any harm. In fact increasing the coolant flow through the engine can only be a good thing. Some engines use the heater circuit as a bypass, and the flow is used as "feedback" to open the thermostat, but that wouldn't work with any kind of valve in the circuit. In any case, the 2JZ has a dedicated bypass pipe feeding into the thermostat.

The only way to tell for sure would be to pull the heater return hose off (before it joins the throttle body return) with then engine running, turn the cabin heater off and see if coolant stops coming out.

The heater take off is probably at the back of the head to make packaging the heater pipes easier, as the best place for it would be in the same place as the top hose take off.

If you can drill it out to 18.5 then you could tap it for an M20x1.5 metric tapered plug (DIN 906 standard). However in the interests of being able to re-instate the heater feed hould you ever need to it might be simplest to buy some ali dowel from B&Q and make a bung that you can jubilee clip into the hose.

If you can drill it out to 18.5 then you could tap it for an M20x1.5 metric tapered plug (DIN 906 standard). However in the interests of being able to re-instate the heater feed hould you ever need to it might be simplest to buy some ali dowel from B&Q and make a bung that you can jubilee clip into the hose.

The head is also still on the bottom end in the car so drilling and tapping not really an option.

I guess this would do the trick http://www.viper-performance.co.uk/productsearch.php?cat=9039&mat=118&diam=15.88%20mm

• 10 months later...

Can you not see the diagrams in this post?

In case you cant they clearly show the waters directional flow out of the head at the back which would then enter the matrix and returning back using the external water pipe that goes to the back of the pump.

Guest KSTUNING

External water pipe that goes to the back of the pump is on the preassure side... Same way that goes to the radiator...

Correct me if im wrong: Ok so the water goes out of the neck on the back of the head and into the external pipe and into the oil filter cooler?!?

Have removed everything besides the pipe from the pump... Was planning to take this pump-pipe to my heater (inside the car) and from the heater into the hose where the oil cooler was before... This leaves me with the neck on the head connected to nothing...If there was any cooling issue here I should connect this one together with the one from the heater for circulation benefits...

The stock oil cooler is fed from the head not a pipe, thats how I read the diagram, the return then runs from the cooler round the back of the engine to the exhaust side and joins the flow from the matrix and goes into the back of the pump.

If you are not using a matrix you can block the connections like myself and some others have, this in theory pushes more flow through the head anyway as there isnt another path for it to go.

Guest KSTUNING

Stock oil cooler is feed by the pipe from the waterpump...

You will not find out if blocking it is for the better/worse unless you measure the temp in different areas on the head/block...Its been an ongoing issue with older engines with cyl in a row when it comes to cooling the rear cylinders... Would be strange if the Japanese ingeneers did this head connection just for fun... Its probably there for a reason...

But why not lead the head water connection together with the one going into the old oil cooler hose?!? Just to sertain the flow... You know if the water flows out... More is coming in from the other end...

Guest KSTUNING

Yes i know that... :) But was just thinking it has to be flow related not just feeding the matrix... For matrix feed they could have used waterpump pipe...

In my case i only have the matrix to feed... So therefor I can go for orginal matrix feed and outgoing matrix into the oil cooler hose...

Sorry mate no :( and I dont have the car anymore to take anymore pics :(

The pipes are right at the back of the engine, they're pretty obvious when you disconnect them from the hard matrix pipe. Print the above pic out and have a look in your engine bay

• 3 weeks later...
thats a good point Dan and it may have something to do with balancing flow, Wez as my car never comes out when the weathers inclement (as i'm sure yours does'nt :eyebrows:) i cant see icing of the IAC to be a problem and mine has been off for quite some time now (along with the throttle water connection)

Paul did you simply just chop off both pipe connections on the ICV or leave them in situ?