The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Swap

Guest JTT

Hey there. How lively is this forum? Looks kinda small :( But anyway, I'm wanting (wishing,praying,hoping) to do an engine swap. I want to take the 2JZ-GTE and put it into another car. What all would I need from the Supra for everything to work? I'd need the engine/trans of course, but what about rear axle? Drive shaft? The car in question is a front wheel drive. I'd say what it is but you'd probably just laugh ;) I'm no mechanic but I know lots of people that are, and are going to do a lot of the work for me. I'd just like to get an idea of everything I'd need out of the Supra to have everything work together and be fully functional. Thanks.

(Edited by JTT at 9:51 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

Guest Martin F

The ECU and various looms would be essential.

I think you need to think carefully about this project, it would be very, very trying. Particularly as you say you don't have much mechanical experience.

Fitting things is one thing, getting them to run suitably and de-bugging it all is another.

(Edited by Martin F at 2:28 pm on Mar. 15, 2002)

Nah I'm going to make it rear wheel drive, keeping forward would kinda defeat the purpose ;) I know it's a very ambitious project, but I'm a very ambitious person. I know lots of people who are mechanics and have been doing things like this since they like 15, but I don't have direct contact with them anymore. Will have to track them down when I'm ready to begin this little project of mine ;)

The car I'll be putting the engine into is a Probe GT. I'm estimating the whole thing is going to take about 1 or 2 years to complete, as I'll be garaging the car for the whole time, doing a lot of body work to make everything fit, making the car lighter etc. I'm hoping to have it at least down to 2300 pounds. 320bhp stock in a 2300lb. car, it'll move pretty quick. :) Sleeper car.

So yeah, I don't mind the hard work that'll be involved, because I'll learn a lot, and it will be well worth it I think.  

Quote: from JTT on 10:45 pm on Mar. 15, 2002[br]Nah I'm going to make it rear wheel drive, keeping forward would kinda defeat the purpose ;) I know it's a very ambitious project, but I'm a very ambitious person. I know lots of people who are mechanics and have been doing things like this since they like 15, but I don't have direct contact with them anymore. Will have to track them down when I'm ready to begin this little project of mine ;)

The car I'll be putting the engine into is a Probe GT. I'm estimating the whole thing is going to take about 1 or 2 years to complete, as I'll be garaging the car for the whole time, doing a lot of body work to make everything fit, making the car lighter etc. I'm hoping to have it at least down to 2300 pounds. 320bhp stock in a 2300lb. car, it'll move pretty quick. :) Sleeper car.

So yeah, I don't mind the hard work that'll be involved, because I'll learn a lot, and it will be well worth it I think.  

I believe I am qualified to say this is an absolutely mega project, and one that you must not enter lightly. it will cost a FORTUNE to do nicely, and i don't even think it will make a nice conversion. the car is designed for a compact V6, the cutting about will be huge. Why not fit a £sGTE (MR2 turbo, Celica turbo) engine? It will fit easier, is a lot lighter, can give 300 BHP on stock internals, easily available, electronically immensely simpler, and ultimately the car will be, well, "nicer"? Or even a 2 rotor Mazda turbo, easy 400 BHP, light and compact, cheap to buy and relatively cheap to tune. To do the conversion with the 2JZ-GTE engine correctly, nicely and completely would cost around 30 K minimum if you have to get someone else to do it, and at the end of the day the completecar will be worth under 10K. Not being negative, just putting my practical hat on :-)

Guest Martin F

Wow 2JZGTE into a Probe !!!!!!!!

Interesting project, but no doubt a lot of fabrication will be required, transmission tunnel, engine mounts, rad mounting, intercooler, etc, etc

As Syed say's are you sure the 2JZ is no too tall for the Probe engine bay ? Mind you i guess you could always modify the bonnet :biggrin:

Don't forget about the suspension as well.

This would be one project i would like to see if you complete it.

Keep us in touch, and good luck.

Yeah I am in the U.S.

This is my old Probe GT http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/JOSHTAYLOR/probegt.html

I'll be getting another one soon and next year it will go under major surgery for the swap. What I plan on doing is basically stripping the whole car down, as much as it takes, putting in all the necessary things, and then build everything around it. Someone else has just told me to consider the other smaller engines as well. If by next year when I begin, things are starting to look too expensive, (and I don't have the job that pays $100,000 a year) I'll look into the other engines. I was originally considering the rotary, to keep true to the Mazda heritage, but I fear the engine would be breaking all the time. If they were more reliable I'd go for that. But the 2jz-gte, I dunno, there's just something about it that makes me smile :)

Guest Martin F

Phil, remember the Probes we see here in the UK were based on the US model. I just don't think we ever saw the GT version here.

Yes that's the same probe as we have over here, same underlying chassis as the MX6 I believe. Like Chris says, putting a good FWD engine into it will be a lot easier, cheap and you'll get a nicer convertion. The Supra engine and gearbox are so long you'll either end up with a car where the engine over hangs the front wheels and will handle like poo or you'll be driving from the back seat because that's where the gear lever is :) Even putting another manufacturers FWD engine/gearbox in the front will involve a lot of work, nowhere as simple as putting an engine from the same manu in (like the Honda swaps you see alot in the US, and Vauxhall ones in the UK). Worse than that the engine will basically be Mazda based and I can't think of a good FWD Mazda to swap from either!!!