The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota parts --- where from?

JohnA

John,

MonkeyMark is talking about an oil filter relocation kit.

Also, why didn't you change the oil filter? You can change the oil filter from the top if the engine isn't too hot. Some folks take the battery out to gain better access to the filter, although I've never tried that myself.

I use the scissors jack to get one side up high enough to fit an axle stand, then take out the scissors jack, go round the other side, and do the same thing. Bingo, car up on axle stands and plenty of exercise into the bargain...

Oil filter is easy compared to the mkIII :D MonkeyMark meant move the PAS reservoir, not the filter. Couple of 10mm bolts, and push it out the way by the throttle body somewhere. A decent screwclamp filter wrench and job done.

I get Toyota oil filters for about £8, from Toyota. Can't see the point in hawking around loads of different places to save two quid on a pattern part :confused: Brake discs are the only consumable I use pattern parts for, everything else is either Mr T or some mad 'performance' part (clutch, brake pads, brake fluid)

Dunno how you equated "no cheap pattern parts available" to "no-one here does any work on their own Supra" lol ;) There are a few about who have been known to tinker a bit.

-Ian

I use the scissors jack to get one side up high enough to fit an axle stand, then take out the scissors jack, go round the other side, and do the same thing.

Yeah, I'd try that if I had enough access on the other side while it's lifted.

Darn I need to move house and fit a 2 post-lift, now that would be a proper workshop ;)

Oil filter is easy compared to the mkIII :D

there's always worse, I agree.

MonkeyMark meant move the PAS reservoir, not the filter. Couple of 10mm bolts, and push it out the way by the throttle body somewhere. A decent screwclamp filter wrench and job done.

nice tip :thanks:

I'm not familiar with the supra engine bay yet, got to printout the nice pictures I found on this site somewhere.

Use them, too :D

I get Toyota oil filters for about £8, from Toyota. Can't see the point in hawking around loads of different places to save two quid on a pattern part :confused:

I'm not talking about penny-pinching and false economies, I've cut oil filters in half myself, and won't take chances with anything substandard. Especially when the oil goes through a couple of turbo bearings, or an expensive crank like the supra's.

..Dunno how you equated "no cheap pattern parts available" to "no-one here does any work on their own Supra" lol ;) There are a few about who have been known to tinker a bit.

I didn't equate, it just came out like that, it's the nature of the internet.

PS there is no 'laughing' smiley available here, how come?

I'm not talking about penny-pinching and false economies, I've cut oil filters in half myself, and won't take chances with anything substandard. Especially when the oil goes through a couple of turbo bearings, or an expensive crank like the supra's.

I didn't equate, it just came out like that, it's the nature of the internet.

PS there is no 'laughing' smiley available here, how come?

Sorry mate it just sort of read that way. I cut an oil filter in half once but only because it took 1.5 hours to get out (mkIII) and I cut it in half with a hammer and a fit of rage ;)

There is the :D smiley, that's pretty indicative of humour :D

-Ian