The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo producing 0.4bar boost???

Duffman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its a weird noise...hard to describe (but you done a good job).

I've replaced the wastegate VSV and its boosting to 0.75bar on turbo 1(before it was replaced it was only boosting to 0.4bar)...so I guess thats one of the problems fixed.

Did anything happen before you lost all power Scott? i.e. mine boosted to about 1.3bar for a few secs then there was a sudden loss of power and a puff of smoke out the exhaust.

Did you and Jamesy not have any luck fixing the problem?

Similar to the issue i have/had. I've taken off all of the VSV's and tested them etc, etc. My car is off the road just now and i've just changed every vac hose and i'm in the process of switching the intercooler hardpipes so i'll subscribe to this and post any findings of my own.

if it helps i removed all the turbo pipes from the 2nd tubby and found it to be spinning freely. My symptoms are that i get tubby one spinning up, when tubby 2 should come online the boost pressure drops to just above 0.

I get a funny noise when letting off boost also, so it seems they are related. Its like a whirring wooshing farting noise all in one lol.

Yeah its a weird noise...hard to describe (but you done a good job).

I've replaced the wastegate VSV and its boosting to 0.75bar on turbo 1(before it was replaced it was only boosting to 0.4bar)...so I guess thats one of the problems fixed.

Did anything happen before you lost all power Scott? i.e. mine boosted to about 1.3bar for a few secs then there was a sudden loss of power and a puff of smoke out the exhaust.

Did you and Jamesy not have any luck fixing the problem?

I'm thinking the exact same thing happened to me. I didn't get any puff of smoke but its very possible that it overboosted. We got a little further with jamesy's but not much. At first he was getting full boost on turbo one but when tubby 2 should be kicking in he was losing all boost (like i was). With the EGCV and the EBV held open he got full boost in tubby 1 but nothing from tubby 2. This is making me think that tubby 2 is goosed or he has a leak in the IC piping.

Here is something for you to try..... beware though its crude:

Get a compressor (a small one for checking tyres etc) and 2 long pieces of vacum pipe. One should be suitable for the EGCV actuator and the other for the EBV actuator. Firstly put the pipe on the EGCV actuator and put some pressure in. While the actuator is open pinch the pipe with pliers or something similar and then pin down the end of the pipe using something in the engine bay that isn't in the way (we fed it underneath the strut bar). Once pinned down you should be able to let go with the pliers and the actuator should stay open (i wouldn't recommend this for any length of time to be honest). Do the same with the EBV and then go for a spin....

If, while held open, you don't make full boost, either your turbo's are goosed or you have a leak in the intercooler piping.

Basically you are taking the entire vacum system out of the loop. Its the TTC mod, only cruedly done. If it works, do it properly until you find out whats wrong.

I'm thinking the exact same thing happened to me. I didn't get any puff of smoke but its very possible that it overboosted. We got a little further with jamesy's but not much. At first he was getting full boost on turbo one but when tubby 2 should be kicking in he was losing all boost (like i was). With the EGCV and the EBV held open he got full boost in tubby 1 but nothing from tubby 2. This is making me think that tubby 2 is goosed or he has a leak in the IC piping.

Here is something for you to try..... beware though its crude:

Get a compressor (a small one for checking tyres etc) and 2 long pieces of vacum pipe. One should be suitable for the EGCV actuator and the other for the EBV actuator. Firstly put the pipe on the EGCV actuator and put some pressure in. While the actuator is open pinch the pipe with pliers or something similar and then pin down the end of the pipe using something in the engine bay that isn't in the way (we fed it underneath the strut bar). Once pinned down you should be able to let go with the pliers and the actuator should stay open (i wouldn't recommend this for any length of time to be honest). Do the same with the EBV and then go for a spin....

If, while held open, you don't make full boost, either your turbo's are goosed or you have a leak in the intercooler piping.

Basically you are taking the entire vacum system out of the loop. Its the TTC mod, only cruedly done. If it works, do it properly until you find out whats wrong.

I'll give that a bash cheers bud...did you make full boost when you done this?

i've not tried it yet. Jamesy was the guinea pig lol.

He didn't get full boost just around12psi from the first but i think either his turbo is cooked or there is a leak in the intercooler piping. If my understanding is correct, if your turbo is good and you have no leaks then you will see full boost.

i've not tried it yet. Jamesy was the guinea pig lol.

He didn't get full boost just around12psi from the first but i think either his turbo is cooked or there is a leak in the intercooler piping. If my understanding is correct, if your turbo is good and you have no leaks then you will see full boost.

That's whaI think too. I have a tyre inflator you plug into the cigarette lighter...think that will do the job?

I've had it all stripped down to the turbos before and replaced allt he hosing/...do I need to strip it down again or can I get access without doing this?

I know what the EGCV is but not the EBV...where si this?

That's whaI think too. I have a tyre inflator you plug into the cigarette lighter...think that will do the job?

Your need an air compressor chap that really holds about 20l minimum

You will hear a leak straight away with this. I carry a compressor with me everywhere now as its surprising how many cars have boost leaks

Ryan

Your need an air compressor chap that really holds about 20l minimum

You will hear a leak straight away with this. I carry a compressor with me everywhere now as its surprising how many cars have boost leaks

Ryan

Cheers for that

Went out and looked to make sure the hoses going to the VSV's are correct...mine is the same as the pics on this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129323&highlight=vsv+plumbing. But this looks like the inlet side of the VSV is going to the actuator...surely it should be the outlet that should be going to the actuator? Correct me if i'm wrong

I have been looking through many threads and have came across one

Cheers for that

Went out and looked to make sure the hoses going to the VSV's are correct...mine is the same as the pics on this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129323&highlight=vsv+plumbing. But this looks like the inlet side of the VSV is going to the actuator...surely it should be the outlet that should be going to the actuator? Correct me if i'm wrong

I have been looking through many threads and have came across one

I have no idea what the undefined was about lol, i wrote it all on my mobile.

Did you manage to find it ok? As for the compressor, to do the check i'm talking about you don't need anything special. To check the intercooler pipes you will need the one Ryan mentions.

I have no idea what the undefined was about lol, i wrote it all on my mobile.

Did you manage to find it ok? As for the compressor, to do the check i'm talking about you don't need anything special. To check the intercooler pipes you will need the one Ryan mentions.

Yeah I opened the actuators and clamped the hose to keep them open then took her for a spin...car seemed to run worse tbh. Boost gauge was only showing 0.1bar. Put hose back on and it showing 0.75bar again. Is there defo only 4 VSV's? I've just seen a pic of one mounted on the pressure tank, which I haven't yet checked.

Also removed the hose going to pressure tank and filled it with air but no joy. Chance the pressure tank could be done?

This might help.

yeah it was more what one went into what side i.e. to actuator etc. As I was under the impression that they sould be the other way round from pics i've seen i.e. outer VSV hose to actuator as it's the outake...meaning its where the air will flow to. From all pics i've seen it looks like this is not the case though

That would suggest to me that the 2nd turbo is cooked. I would let other people with more experience give you that answer but if you have the EGCV opened and the 2nd turbo's turbine is fooked then most of the exhaust pressure would just escape straight through it hardly spooling up turbo 1 at all.

There are 5 vsv's but if your not getting full boost with the EBV and EGCV opened then its a turbo or intercooler issue.

That would suggest to me that the 2nd turbo is cooked. I would let other people with more experience give you that answer but if you have the EGCV opened and the 2nd turbo's turbine is fooked then most of the exhaust pressure would just escape straight through it hardly spooling up turbo 1 at all.

There are 5 vsv's but if your not getting full boost with the EBV and EGCV opened then its a turbo or intercooler issue.

I had all the pipework off again today...felt round the back inside turbo 2 and all seems well...feels solid and all blades seem in tact...obviously couldn't see inside due to access.

Do you have pics of exaclty where to put the hose so i'm 100% sure I checked the right ones mate?

How's your's coming along?

I had all the pipework off again today...felt round the back inside turbo 2 and all seems well...feels solid and all blades seem in tact...obviously couldn't see inside due to access.

Do you have pics of exaclty where to put the hose so i'm 100% sure I checked the right ones mate?

How's your's coming along?

Won't be able to get it back together till during the week mate, need to take my cam covers in to get them de-greased as i blasted the outside of them and i'm worried about the old oil, inside, holding onto any of the sand.

Anyway... pics...

No.6 in the first pic is the EBV actuator that you want to have open and the other pic shows the EBCV that you want to have open.

When both of these are open you are running the turbo's in parallel and the entire Vacuum control system is taken out of the equation. This means that regardless of non-functioning VSV's or Pressure tanks you will see full boost by 6krpm as long as the turbo's are good and the pipes are good.

Component%20Locations%201.jpg

Component%20Locations%203.jpg

It is starting to sound like no2 turbo is not working at all. The bit that normally goes is the bit you can't see - the turbine side on the exhaust.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge (Ian C :D ) will be along with some ideas, though Sctoster, you're doing well with the suggestions so far :thumbs: Good info for future folks too

It is starting to sound like no2 turbo is not working at all. The bit that normally goes is the bit you can't see - the turbine side on the exhaust.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge (Ian C :D ) will be along with some ideas, though Sctoster, you're doing well with the suggestions so far :thumbs: Good info for future folks too

Been trial and error on my part buddy. That along with the trusty MKIV search engine lol.

I've been having trouble with mine for so long i'm really picking up how the whole system works. You know the saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.

What do you suppose the next step is?

I've removed the VSV's and am going to check again to make sure all wokring

If I need a new turbo then how do I go about it? Reconditioned one etc?

As said, its not the VSV's thats stopping tubby 2 coming online. Its either tubby 2 thats fooked or the intercooler piping thats leaking. First thing to check is the intercooler piping. The best way is to have it pressure tested.

If its not the intercooler piping and its holding pressure ok then its time to start looking out for 2nd hand tubby's. They come up quite regular on here, expect to pay around £200 for a decent set :)

I don't fancy the job of pulling them off though, getting to the nuts on the top looks a doddle, the ones on the bottom look a pain without a pit.

Guest R_Gardiner

Having been poking about ubder this car id agree with you scot its going to be a pain in the arse but ive got a lock up with a pit we can use so hopefuly would ba an afternoons work swapping the tubby if that does turn out to be the issue.

Sean will double check all the vsv's this week and hopefully eliminate them for sure, ill pressure test the IC piping when the stuff gets dropped off and hopefully thats ok too because its beginning to get a bit of a PITA now.

Cheers for your help scotster:thumbs:

Having been poking about ubder this car id agree with you scot its going to be a pain in the arse but ive got a lock up with a pit we can use so hopefuly would ba an afternoons work swapping the tubby if that does turn out to be the issue.

Sean will double check all the vsv's this week and hopefully eliminate them for sure, ill pressure test the IC piping when the stuff gets dropped off and hopefully thats ok too because its beginning to get a bit of a PITA now.

Cheers for your help scotster:thumbs:

No worries mate, glad i can be of some assistance. Its just lucky i've gone through most of it myself lol.

The VSV's control the Vacume pressure which then control the Actuators. By taking the actuators out of the equation (holding the EGCV and the EBV open) you in turn take the VSV's out of the equation. This does not take account of the wastegate though. The Wastegate on tubby no. 1 spools up tubby no.2 and the wastegate on tubby no.2 isn't good enough to flow enough pressure on full chat. With that in mind, this means that when at 6krpm if the EGCV and EBV are open (held open) then you should see full boost. If you don't either the intercooler pipes are fooked or the tubby is fooked.

My way of confiriming this is as follows. Take off all turbo pipes other than the 2nd tubby's directional pipe (the one connected to the compressor side). Make sure you have some kind of filtration on the intake manifold and then open up the EBV and EGCV using previous methods. Fire up the car..... both tubby's should be spooling. You will be able to check pressure from tubby 2 via the tubby pipe. If its spinning then you will get pressure (use something heat proof), if you don't or its weak then tubby 2 is goosed.

Removing the tubby's with a pit should be pretty straight forward other than the usual pains. Lots and lots and lots of plus gas should help (i use the "lots" deliberately... seriously). If you can get a day in use of a pit you should be able to get them off and back on with ease.... as long as you take appropraite precautions, ie good spanners and good penetrating fluid.

Let me know how you get on, i may be paying you a visit in a few weeks lol.

As said, its not the VSV's thats stopping tubby 2 coming online. Its either tubby 2 thats fooked or the intercooler piping thats leaking. First thing to check is the intercooler piping. The best way is to have it pressure tested.

If its not the intercooler piping and its holding pressure ok then its time to start looking out for 2nd hand tubby's. They come up quite regular on here, expect to pay around £200 for a decent set :)

I don't fancy the job of pulling them off though, getting to the nuts on the top looks a doddle, the ones on the bottom look a pain without a pit.

I will start having a look for 2nd hand tubbys then. Just a bit worried incase I buy one thats on its last legs. Guessing its a bit more expensive to get them reconditioned?

Also would I be looking to replace both the tubbys at once?

No worries mate, glad i can be of some assistance. Its just lucky i've gone through most of it myself lol.

The VSV's control the Vacume pressure which then control the Actuators. By taking the actuators out of the equation (holding the EGCV and the EBV open) you in turn take the VSV's out of the equation. This does not take account of the wastegate though. The Wastegate on tubby no. 1 spools up tubby no.2 and the wastegate on tubby no.2 isn't good enough to flow enough pressure on full chat. With that in mind, this means that when at 6krpm if the EGCV and EBV are open (held open) then you should see full boost. If you don't either the intercooler pipes are fooked or the tubby is fooked.

My way of confiriming this is as follows. Take off all turbo pipes other than the 2nd tubby's directional pipe (the one connected to the compressor side). Make sure you have some kind of filtration on the intake manifold and then open up the EBV and EGCV using previous methods. Fire up the car..... both tubby's should be spooling. You will be able to check pressure from tubby 2 via the tubby pipe. If its spinning then you will get pressure (use something heat proof), if you don't or its weak then tubby 2 is goosed.

Removing the tubby's with a pit should be pretty straight forward other than the usual pains. Lots and lots and lots of plus gas should help (i use the "lots" deliberately... seriously). If you can get a day in use of a pit you should be able to get them off and back on with ease.... as long as you take appropraite precautions, ie good spanners and good penetrating fluid.

Let me know how you get on, i may be paying you a visit in a few weeks lol.

Cheers for all your input bud it's appreciated...will let you know how we get on :)

Feel free to take a trip down some time if you fancy :thumbs:

Not sure on whether its best to replace both tubby's or not. They are both exactly the same anyway, there isn't one bigger than the other or anything like that. If you get a pair it might be an idea to split them, use one of them and sell the other one.

Just check you can do that though, i haven't stripped down a set of tubby's yet.

Not sure on whether its best to replace both tubby's or not. They are both exactly the same anyway, there isn't one bigger than the other or anything like that. If you get a pair it might be an idea to split them, use one of them and sell the other one.

Just check you can do that though, i haven't stripped down a set of tubby's yet.

Be careful, as the exhaust housings are different, the rear turbo has a built in wastegate.